[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hopefully my last post on volunteers VS pq

  • From: "Andy B." <sonfire11@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 00:34:57 -0400

Agree.

-----Original Message-----
From: bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Larry Lumpkin
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 10:17 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Hopefully my last post on volunteers VS pq

If bookshare values the scanning and proofing of books by volunteers.  Tell
us how?  In what way?  If we are to scan and proof books for the collection,
which books?  Someone sends me a box of books to add to the collection but I
am decidedly NOT going to scan them only to find that my scanning  and
possibly the proofing of my wife who spends sometimes days on a book reading
it from cover to cover will be dumped in the bit bucket because of a PQ
submission which is often inferior to our efforts.  I'm sorry, but the
answers provided by bookshare staff concerning this issue have not been
satisfactory.  The solution we are being offered is, "well, go ahead and
scan and proof away and good luck."   As you can tell, I am decidedly not
happy.