[bksvol-discuss] Re: Holocaust Remembrance Day

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 10:51:01 -0700 (PDT)

--I don't have any books on Cinco de Mayo to
recommend, and my favorite guacomole recipe is the one
on the guacomole powder package -- easy to make and
delicious. But I do have a book on the holocaust to
recommend, if someone wants to scan it. It's a
positive book rather than sad and has a happy ending,
in that the main characters survive. In fact, that
reminds me of a second book, one that I read years
ago. To take the last-mentioned book first, it's
called The Last Jews in Berlin. I didn't realize that
as many Jews survived the Second World War actually
living in Berlin and Germany, thanks to the help of
their non-Jewish friends an neighbors. This book tells
the story of many individuals who survived, living in
Berlin or the countryside.
    The first book I mentioned is called The Bielski
Brothers. This is the true story of Ukrainian Jewish
brothers who managed to rescue, with the help of their
non-Jewish neighbors (who fortunately, in most cases,
never got caught or killed by the Nazis) over a
thousand or 1500 Jews.  They all lived in the forest
and had quite a village going. Also, there were
Russian partisans (I didn't realize the the Russian
army had occupied the Ukraine and then been routed by
the Nazis, but many of the soldiers remained, and
Stalin sent in more, ro harass and kill Nazies) also
in the forest and the Jewish and the Russian partisans
teamed together to fight the Nazis. It's as
fascinating a read as any novel.

CIndy

Yahoo! Mail