[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help with steps, and sending instructions

  • From: "Sue Stevens" <siss52@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 19:47:31 -0500

Angel,
I don't see a Step 11 in these instructions.

Sue S.

-----Original Message----- From: Christina
Sent: Thursday, March 14, 2013 7:21 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Help with steps, and sending instructions

Here they are.  What do you mean by Step 11?

Exclusions with Wild Cards
It takes three steps.  What you'll do is first protect all the
instances where a page number is followed by a line break. That
will work as the way to exclude those line breaks from getting eaten.

Then, you'll do your step that you already know how to do to
remove all the line breaks followed by a lower case letter.

Finally, you'll put back in all the line breaks that follow a
page number.

First, though, save a copy of your file just in case this does
something unexpected or plain wrong.

Step 1: Protect the line break that follows a page number

In Word's search and replace, make sure you have the option to
"use wildcards" checked.

Find: ([0-9])^l

that is, left-parentheses left-square-bracket zero hyphen nine
right-square-bracket right-parentheses caret one

Replace: \1###

that is backslash one pound-sign pound-sign pound-sign

Replace all

step 2: Remove all the line breaks followed by a lower case letter

Find: ^l([a-z])

that is caret lower-case-l left-parentheses left-square-bracket
lower-case-a hyphen lower-case-z right-square-bracket
right-parentheses

Replace:  \1

that is space backslash one

Replace all

Step 3: Put back in your line breaks after each page number

unclick the "use wildcards"

Find: ###

that is pound-sign pound-sign pound-sign

Replace: ^l

that is caret lower-case-l