[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help with Open Book

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 21:26:20 -0800 (PST)

I don't know if this will help, because I don't know
if you can hear the difference, or if you use Braille
and if so if it indicates spaces between sentences,
but...

I'm now validating my second or third book that has no
paragraphs. I discovered that I can tell, without
looking at the print book, where the break should come
because sentences within a paragraph have a space
after the period or other punctuation but where the
paragraph break should be,the sentences are run
together without a space, i.e., the second sentence
starts *immediately* after the ending of the preceding
sentence. So I just hit return between the ending
punctuation mark and the next letter.

I've also discovered that doing that in a book that
has English rather than American punctuation is much
more difficult than n U.S. books because the English
use single quotation marks for dialog. Thus when two
pieces of conversation from two different people are
next to each other, there are two quote marks that
have to be split, and, at least in the font that the
book I'm working on now is in, it's hard to put the
cursor between them.  Ah, well. We wouldn't want life
to be too easy; it would be boring. smile

G.Cindy
--- maithe007 <maithe007@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lorie,
>
> This did not work...thanks for the tip though.
> Donna helped me put the page breaks back into the
> appropriate places, but now all the paragraphs are
> gone.  I have to figure-out what should be together
> and what should be in a separate line.
>
> Thank you all for your help.  I am now off to kill
> Openbook. *G*
>
> Hugs,
>
> Maithe

at