[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help needed, please!

  • From: Em Rose <uvabookworm27@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 May 2011 14:33:02 -0400

Not a problem, Sue!  Here is the rest of what I was able to suss out from
Amazon peek.  Unfortunately most of the book was hidden, so unless the
chapters came up in the search results, I was unable to find them.  You may
still want someone to get a print copy of the book to verify that I didn't
miss a chapter break somewhere.

Em

*Part I – Night at the Angel Steps – pg 1*

1 - Pg 3 – She came out of the fog, her face painted half-white, half-black

2 – Pg 4 – “Certain kinds of people have always got away with murder!”
Adrian Rees slammed his glass on the bar

3 – Pg 8 – “Shall I be Mother?” Bertie Makepiece held the stoneware teapot
aloft.

4 – Pg 10 – It was the Wakeman who found her. Billy Sims had continued his
evening revels with Corky

*5 – pg 11 – Detective Inspector Ian Harkins of the Pitlochary C.I.D. was
furious.*

*Part II – Morning in York – pg 17*

*Part III – Afternoon in Islington – pg 27*

1 – pg 29 – Detective Chief Inspector Richard Jury was awakened from

2 – Pg 33 – “It’s on the coast. Fishing village – or was once- near Whitby.

*Part IV – Rackmoor Fog – pg 37*

1 – Pg 39 – The car heater of the little Ford Escort thunked despairingly,
blasting out heat on the floor

2- Pg 51 – “As the exhaust fan of the Lotus Elan roared in Jury’s ears,
Kitty Meechem was readying up for the eleven

3 – Pg 57 – Melrose Plant was sitting at one end of the Craels’ dining room
table

4 – Pg 63 – The gray brindled cat uncurled itself from its window ledge,
looked at Jury, yawned

5 – Pg 69 – The home of Sir Titus Crael, Bart., was an Elizabethan manor
house, overlooking the giant,

6 – pg 78 – When he walked into the Bracewood Room, Jury knew he’d found the
portrait of Lady Margaret Crael

7 – pg 86 – “All shipshape and Bristol fashion!” Bertie switched off the
Hoover and saluted the small statue

8 – pg 89 – But it was neither Frog Eyes nor the police to whom Bertie
opened the door this afternoon

9 – pg 95 – All he needed was an owl on his shoulder. Percy Blythe sat
behind a Jacobean monstrosity of a library table

10 – pg 99 – The girl who opened the door had a face too thing for
conventional beauty

11 – pg 107 – “Give me a Rackmoor Fog,” said Melrose Plant. Kitty turned to
Jury

*12 – pg 117 – “Percy Blythe was still sitting at the library table*

*13 – pg 122 – Maud Brixenham walked through life scattering veils and pins*

*14 – pg 133 – The depression and anxiety which had gripped him when he had
been talking to Lily Siddons washed over Jury like*

*15 – pg 141 – The gray brindled cat slipped from the sill*

*16 – pg 144 – The bell tinlded over the door of the Bridge Walk Café when
Jury walked in.*

*18 – pg 154 – Like a migrating bird, Sergeant Wiggins always managed to fly
to the warmth;*

*19 – pg 158 – Melrose Plant was in bed, or rather on it, but not in the way
Jury meant.*

*20 – pg 162 – “Dillys March? ‘Twas a long time ago ah knew her.*

*21 – pg 164 – There was the barest whisper of a knock on Melrose’s door.*

*22 – pg 169 – The Sherry Club was a sedate, cream-washed, flat fronted
building near the Shambles and in the shadow of York Minster.*

*Part V – Limehouse Blues – pg 175*

1 – Pg 177 – Jury stopped off at his flat to pick up his mail, which
consisted of bills, circulars, and a letter from his cousin

2 – Pg 180 – The eyes which peered at him through the chainlocked door were
a soft, vulnerable brown

3 – Pg 184 – Melrose Plant had no idea how he was going to eat his way
through six more Chinese restaurants.

4 – Pg 191 – The ringing of the telephone overlapped in Jury’s dream with
the mournful wail of the Whitby Bull and when his

*5 – pg 191 – Fiona Clingmore was a pale blonde who favored black. Today, it
was a tight black jumper*

6 – Pg 197 – The Raineys lived in a tiny maisonete in the euphemistically
named Kingsman’s Close in Lewisham.

7 – Pg 201 – Victor Merchant sat in vest and suspenders alternately
scratching his stomach

8 – pg 206 – Jane Yang was an exquisite, delicately formed girl in a
turquoise dress with a high collar.

9 – pg 209 – The S awry Hotel was a well-kept London secret,

10 – pg 212 - The clerk’s confusion deepened visibly when Chief Inspector
Richard Jury turned up two hours later

11 – pg 213 – The Royal Victoria Hotel did not live up to its name. It was
wedged between two other buildings

*12 – pg 216 – The look she gave him, up and down, could have stripped
varnish off a chair*

*13 – pg 223 – When Jury walked into the George at six o’clock, he saw Jimi
Haggis sitting at the bar,*

*14 – pg 228 – “Shall we stop and rout out Agatha? She will report only to
you, remember? I wonder how she’s getting on*

*15 – pg 228 – Plant had excused himself discreetly and gone to his room,*

*Part VI – The Old Red Rag –pg 233*

1 – Pg 235 – At 8:30 A.M., Melrose Plant, breakfastless, with only a draught
from a mind-numbing stirrup cup

2 – Pg 237 – “I found her, Inspector Jury; that is, Jimmy and I did.”
Colonel Crael was leaning against the wall as if

3 – Pg 239 – Dr. Dudley wiped his hands and shook his head. “Clever. But
couldn’t have happened.”

4 – Pg 241 – Ian Harkins loosened his bindings, so to speak, unbuttoning
that rich suede and sheepskin coat to reveal

5 – Pg 247 – In the Bracewood Room, Julian sat on the couch opposite Jury.
He was leaning forward, hands clasped tightly

6 – Pg 257 – “Crime passionnel?”

7 – Pg 260 – “He’s really quite upset about this,” yelled Maud Brixenham
over the din of the rock music.

8 – pg 267 – “Vampire-bats!” Bertie yelled, swooping through the kitchen, an
old quilt upraised above his head

9 – pg 268 – Melrose Plant and Sir Titus Crael were in the Bracewood Room
that evening, having drinks.

10 – pg 270 - The gray brindled cat, face besotted with sleep, sat like a
lump in the window of the gallery

11 – pg 275 Bertie did not like coming this way even in full daylight,
certainly not at night.

*Part VII – Simon Says – pg 283*

1 – Pg 285 – Since Bertie had nearly fallen asleep on his feet, they’d put
him to bed and Jury had insisted on staying with him

2 – Pg 288 – “What was that all about?” said Melrose Plant to everyone at
large, Arnold included.

3 – Pg 289 – “She came out of the fog, walking toward him on Grape Lane,
hatless, a wind off the sea”

4 – Pg 290 – The gray brindled cat was trying to catch snowflakes hitting
and melting on the windows

5 - Pg 291 – Melrose Plant was leaning against the wall of the Bridge Walk
Café,

6 – Pg 297 – “Lily?” said Colonel Crael. “Lily? Of all people-you can’t be
serious!”

7 – Pg 299 – All afternoon they combed the village, paying special attention
to the empty

8 – Pg 301 – At least two dozen people – some police, a few villagers
including Bertie,

9 – Pg 302 – They were saying good-bye to Berne.