[bksvol-discuss] Help in scanning errors?

  • From: "liz halperin" <lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 21:42:46 -0800

Hi all, trying to keep up even in digest form is daunting! I need some input
here and hoping to find help.

I scan. I scan into Kurz v.11, read and edit as I go, end up with Ranked
spellings of 98% or above. Save as .rtf. I understand all bets are off now
for ranked spelling, that's okay as I know The Truth. (For those listening
with screen readers, I capitalized "The Truth.")

I used to do the reading and editing in the KES file, now in RTF file but
via KES screen.

Following Guido's input, as I go I remove running headers, just leaving page
numbers at the top, with a blank line, then chapter heading with a blank
line, then the content. Often the page numbers are not on pages that have
chapter headings, so I add them at the top, then a blank line. Sounds good,
right? But somehow, due to internal formatting I can't seem to fix, when I
look at the rtf in Word, there's a HUGE chunk of empty space. This happens
between page number and chapter heading then again down to the content. Font
change doesn't change it. Rescanning doesn't change it. The problem is that
this can make one page be several pages, even though the marking of the page
break doesn't happen till the end. But this somehow still messes up the
pagination.

I have two books here I need to fix because of it, and likely more.  I used
to just scan and check in KES, change to RTF and upload. Now I'm fixing in
RTF, then checking the RTF word and catching other errors. I'm at a loss....

Bob, I like your idea of adding drinks at a regular stopping place.  This
seems the best advice I've read to date.

By the way, unlike most of you, I am not checking via screen reader if that
makes any difference. I honestly don't know. I am deaf and still have some
sight.  I am checking via Kurzweil's display options, checking the RTF in
word via ZoomText, and using my CCTV to check for accuracy of resources and
websites, etc in the books, to describe graphics,  and when worn out,
checking via Brailliant braille display with Window Eyes.

Any assist would be helpful as  I have books here that need to be fixed
before I can upload them. Also need to get a small handful in before I leave
in 4 weeks to get my next guide doggie!

Liz, overwhelmed by the volume here--y'all can listen faster than I can eye
or finger read!!!

Liz Halperin
Portland, OR
lizzersagain@xxxxxxxxxxx