[bksvol-discuss] Re: Help With Using the Library

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 22:09:58 -0600

Hi Cindy!

Thanks for sharing your librarian experiences. It was interesting. I remember learning a little about the Dewey decimal system when I was in grade school in the 60's.

Debby

At 08:54 PM 12/22/2009, Cindy wrote
Librarians (I was one) used to have a book that gave the Dewey categories. It was fun to do cataloging using that book. There are so many subsections to each section. I kpt mine for a lot of years after I lwft library school and was working at a private school as librarian.Now librarians don't do their own cataloging. When I was volunteering at our local library and mentioned it, I learned that books arrive at the main library precatalogued by publishers or or a central ordering place. The local librarians now are mainly reference librarians or helpful-to-patrons people.
Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Books+Being+Scanned+List