[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hello, I'm new here and thank you all.

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <GeraldHovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 12:26:53 -0500

Mayrie,

You've done the one thing you can do to fix the problems with the author and
copyright info, notify the list that the problem exists so whoever validates
the books can be sure to fix the info.  Even that shouldn't really matter,
though, because if the validator does their job properly, then they'll check
this info to make sure it's correct before uploading the book for approval.
That's why many books have to be validated more than once, because they
weren't validated properly in the first place.  Usually it's the Copyright
Name field which volunteers seem to fill out incorrectly, though.

I hope you read the tip on Jake's website for filling out the forms.  It
sounds like you did.  This is the best info availabel at the moment for how
to fill out the forms correctly and avoid having the book kicked back to be
revalidated.

As for using the ampersand in the title of the book, if it's done that way
on the title page, then that's the way it should be entered.

As someone else mentioned, words which are hyphenated due to their falling
at the end of lines or the end of the page should be put back together.
Just move one half of the word to the line or page where the other half is
and put the word back together.  Normally the word no longer happens to fall
at the end of the line,though, because of the original lines not being
preserved when scanning, so you'll just need to delete the hyphen and/or
space(s) between the halves of the word.

Finally, as for the children's books, yes, go ahead and submit them.
Bookshare is interested in building up a larger collection of children's
books, especially if they can be used for school.  Janice even asked this
list last year if we could help her create a list of the K-2 books which
were in the collection because she was at a conference and had teachers
asking her what books were available for kids that age through Bookshare.

HTH

Gerald