[bksvol-discuss] Hello, I'm new here and thank you all.

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 08:37:46 -0700

Hello everyone,

I'm just new to this list yesterday. I started uploading books scanned over the last few years just a few days ago. You all seem really helpful to each other, and I am so very thankful. Jake, if you're out there somewhere, your web site has been so very helpful. There really is a lot of information there that I didn't seem to find on the BookShare site that is aimed at volunteering. I do have a couple of questions, and I owe you poor folks an appology.

When I started filling out the form to upload books, some of the information wasn't as clear as it might have been. I have made some mistakes that I'm afraid someone is going to have to fix. For example, I didn't know that filling out the author field required first name first, and last name last, so my submissions thus far have been in reverse order. Is there a way that I can fix this for books already uploaded, or should I just not make the same mistake in future? Also, I didn't know that the copyright year required was the most recent, not the first. I think I only made that mistake on one book. Again, should I fix this, and how, or just not do it in future? I am so very sorry. I wish I had known.

I do have a couple of scanning/correction questions also. As I am proofreading the books I'm scanning, some of the titles have the & symbol in them. Should I just leave this as it is, or actually put in the word "and?" Also, I'm finding that some of the hyphens dividing words at the ends of lines are missing. Should I add those in, or leave them out. Sorry for stupid questions, if indeed they are.

Finally, I'm just curious. I have a twelve-year-old who is with me quite a lot of the time. She is an avid reader and has asked me to offer her two favourite series up to the BookShare site for other kids to read as they aren't available anywhere else for reading challenged kids. Is there a demand for this kind of thing, or are we just wasting the time of other volunteers by submitting books that no one is interested in reading?

I'm sorry this note has gone on for so long. I really do think this is a great service you all are doing. Sorry again for all of the questions and for filling out the submission form improperly. Thanks for any help you feel like offering. Have a great day.

Peace,
Mayrie