[bksvol-discuss] Re: Has anyone used a vupoint magic wand portable scanner?

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2012 22:20:12 -0500

Hi Em,

Thank you for your feedback on it! I was reading a review tonight that said it works best for books to start from the inside binding and run to the outside edge of the page, because of the wheels problem. That means you're really scanning at right angles to the text in that situation, not from top to bottom. What's been your experience when doing it that way--same problem? Another reviewer said that when you do that you often lose the page number because it's too close to the edge so you run into the wheels problem again. But it does sound like in its own niche it is useful.

Judy s.
On 10/5/2012 3:46 PM, Em Rose wrote:
Hi Judy,

I got one when I first started scanning for Bookshare.  For portability, it was
great. It is about the length of a ruler and about an inch thick, so it is easy
to throw in your bag.  And if you are very careful, you can get a pretty decent
scan - greyscale, black and white, or color.  You operate it by swiping it
across the page. On the bottom side of it, there is the scanning glass and next
to it are wheels.  As long as the wheels are spinning, it will continue to scan.

However, it was very time consuming.  Because of the way it operates, you have
to work at a very steady pace.  Too fast and your scan will run over top of
itself.  If you don't hold it level all the way down the page, the image comes
out warped and then the OCR can't read it.  Also, unless you have a book with
wide margins, the wheels end up running off the page before the glass has
picked up everything.

I still use mine if I'm traveling or like your friend to take to the library
for books that can't leave. But I take a laptop with me too so I can download
the images and to check how many need to be rescanned.

Em

Sent from my iPad