[bksvol-discuss] Re: HarperCollins donations

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2008 12:35:26 -0700 (PDT)

I'm resolving the issue by checking the publisher of
any books before I validate and then not doing them. I
suggest that submitters check with me--or maybe
bookshare will post the list somewhere-- and then not
scan the books. It really hurt and angered me to have
A Woman Betrayed, by Delinsky, which I took my usual
care and time with, replaced. I only found out because
I noticed the PQ book when it was added and recognized
the title. Four more books I've done are on the HC
list of books being donated, including one Delinsky,
the Passions of Chelsea Kane.

We had no choice about the Princess Diary books. I did
check with Allison to see if they were in the donation
pile, but they wouldn't have been added to the
collection, for certain, in time for the girls'
project, so we had to finish the project ourselves.

I hope that it can be worked out with the publisher
that its books can be added to the collection without
replacing Excellent titles that are already there.
When I asked before I was told that the condition of
the donation was that HC titles be the only ones. I
hope that can be changed. I don't mind if both
editions are in the collection and members choose to
download the HC book (not that I'd even know, grin),
but I do object to having my careful efforts replaced.

Sorry for rant, but this is a sore spot with me that
is still not completely healed. smile At least I now
can prevent doing work that will be wasted, thanks to
having the list. Hopefully when other publishers get
on board the problem of replacing Excellent books
won't arise. If there are PQ donations and people find
bookshare books are not Excellent they can tell the
staff and those bad ones can be removed and only the
PQ ones remain.

G.Cindy

AVAILABLE AT
http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/