[bksvol-discuss] Re: Hard drives

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 08:47:31 -0800

Hi Tim,

I saw your message when it came through.  I don't know how to deal with
creating external drives from used-to-be internal drives.

But as for using any software that was on your old computer.  You can't do
that.  Your old computer had a different opperating system and totally
different hardware components.  All of your old software on the old drive
wants to run with all of the old hardware, motherboard, chipset, video card,
etc.  The software can't run on your new computer.  It'd need to be
installed on it to run there.  However, you can go grab from the hard drive,
if you know where to find them, old word documents and read/edit them on
your new computer, or access them from the old hard drive if you really need
to do that.  You could play mp3's for example on your new computer that you
had on your old computer.  So, what I'm saying is that old files like e-mail
messages, Word documents, txt files, mp3's, and the like  can be imported to
your new computer, but the software on your old computer, like your copy of
Outlook, or Word, or any other program can't be run on your new computer
from the old computer's hard drive.  The software, if you don't have updated
versions, or if you want to replace them with older versions, needs to be
installed on the hard drive of your new computer so that it talks to the
proper hardware.

Sorry, I know that wasn't very brilliantly stated, but ...

And I know nothing about Word 2010.  Hope someone on this list can help you
out with that!

Good luck!

Mayrie

  _____