[bksvol-discuss] Re: Gustavo's comments are understandable by all according to Gustavo

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 20:48:00 -0500

I am sorry about my possibly scaring volunteers who may just be starting out. I also have to say in all truthfullness that poor Gustavo sounded like one of the most stressed out people I have ever spoken to. I have known him more or less for five years or so meeting at CSUN and such. I was apalled and amazed as he insisted that folks understand his feedback particularly the part about phd and md and such. Were this one conversation the only thing I perhaps would be less concerned.

Were I angry rather than just concerned I would not continue to volunteer. All of you are truly a part of my life as is bookshare. I am concerned about the fact that all of these issues are years, yes years, old and all impact volunteers. We are not permitted a larger role in bookshare and I understand the legal need for that. That being said I am concerned. I am sticking with it and would be less than honest if I did not voice concerns. You new folks if it were not worth it, all of us would not do it.

Continueing to volunteer,
E.
At 08:04 PM 1/3/2007, you wrote:
Dear E,

If I were a newbie, your frustration and plans to stop volunteering would put a scare in me. You do such good work, and you are a very present part of our volunteer group. I'd feel the tragedy and worry we'd never hear from you again.

Shortly after I joined, Cindy mentioned going off list. I remember thinking, "That can't be! What terrible thing here would drive that nice lady away?"

A few months later, I unsubscribed, and it was Cindy, still around, who soothed me off list and told me not to cringe over my mistakes or perceived criticism, but to enjoy the ride.

Some of us feel the sting of conflicts, great and small, more than others, and it helps to take time out until you cease to feel the burn.

Right now, the frustration looms large to you, but after a break, be it minutes, days, weeks or months, the satisfaction and fun you have volunteering and chatting with fellow Booksharians who understand your accomplishments, hopes and stress, will take center stage and then you'll be back with a lighter heart.

We tend to be high achievers here and and as hard as we try to get our work right and work smoothly with the system, we're bound to scramble details, forget nits and boulders, and just get out of sync from time to time. In balance, we build far more than we break, and the staff takes our work and look what a collection we have!

Anyone who has been here for a while knows that I go away frequently. I don't go away mad, I go away because I'm having fun doing something else, I'm sick, I've finally broken down and taken on housework or my clutter, my confidence has taken a dive and I'm biding my time until it's revived, I need to cool down or warm up, I'm too obsessed with validating to write e mail, I'm making sure Bookshare isn't the only thing that matters in my life,...I go away for all sorts of reasons. One of the perks of volunteering is that we can come and go without losing our jobs, and, if we need to, even quit without breeching some kind of contract.

Even if we're a serious group, we should be having serious fun. So, E, go pamper yourself, rant to us off list, get a breath of air and come back when it's fun again.

Always with love,

Lissi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Elizabeth and Burton" <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 2007-01-02 12:05:04-08
User: gustavo galindo
Please do not include titles in author names. Please use a comma to
separate different
authors.

E.

8:22 AM