[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google's agreement with publishers and libraries

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 13:20:01 -0600

Roger, Volunteers are  to submit only books they scan from hard copy.  Any
submissions of any electronically sourced materials is reserved to
Bookshare staffers.  If you have questions, please contact Pavi directly
for guidance.

Regards,

G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  (512) 286-5794
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

'there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept'
                             Ansel Adams

Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
02/06/2009 10:05 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google's agreement with publishers and libraries

I was aware of all that, well, most of it anyway. My point is that we are
allowed to scan and post almost any book for distribution among a
population of people with documented disabilities without compensation to
or permission from the copyright holders. That should mean that it should
be legal for Google to turn over the complete text of all those millions
of books, with the exception of certain books such as collections of
plays, to Bookshare. In the case of Bookshare those restrictions should
not apply. Now, my understanding may be wrong, but if it is it doesn't
show as such from this item from Google itself. That is why I am asking if
Google has been approached or if there are any plans to approach Google
just like publishers have been approached for publisher quality books.

                "Philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various
ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Google's agreement with publishers and libraries
Date:
2/6/2009 1:13:44 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Roger,

There are limitations. Below is the skinny, as we used to say, which I
found at http://books.google.com/googlebooks/agreement/

Cindy

"The Future of Google Book Search
Our groundbreaking agreement with authors and publishers.

Three years ago, the Authors Guild, the Association of American Publishers
and a handful of authors and publishers filed a class action lawsuit
against
Google Book Search.

Today we're delighted to announce that we've settled that lawsuit and will
be working closely with these industry partners to bring even more of the
world's
books online. Together we'll accomplish far more than any of us could have
individually, to the enduring benefit of authors, publishers, researchers
and
readers alike.

It will take some time for this agreement to be approved and finalized by
the Court. For now, here's a peek at the changes we hope you'll soon see.

   1. Book Search today
   2. How Book Search will change
   3. Three types of books
   4. The Book Rights Registry
   5. Libraries and universities
   6. Looking forward

Book Search today

Right now, you can search over the full text of some seven million books
through Google Book Search. Try it out for yourself:

Whenever you do a Google web search, you're also searching our book index;
any relevant hits will appear in your search results, and clicking on a
result
will take you to the relevant page in the book, where you can browse a few
more pages and learn where to borrow or buy it.

[photographic samples deleted]

The books in Google Book Search come from two sources.
The Library Project

We've partnered with renowned libraries around the world to include their
collections in Book Search. For Library Project books that are still in
copyright,
our results are like a card catalog; we show you info about the book and,
generally, a few snippets of text showing your search term in context..

For Library Project books that are out of copyright, however, you can read
and download the entire book.

Snippet view of in-copyright book

Full view of out-of-copyright book

Preview of Partner Program book

The Partner Program

We’ve also partnered with over 20,000 publishers and authors to make their
books discoverable on Google. You can flip through a few preview pages of
these
books, just like you'd browse them at a bookstore or library. You'll also
see links to libraries and bookstores where you can borrow or buy the
book.

You can learn more about, and sign up for, the Partner Program here.

How Book Search will change

Once approved, this agreement will allow us and our publishing industry
partners to greatly expand the number of books that you can find, preview
and buy
through Google. Here's how.
Out of print books

Until now, we've only been able to show a few snippets of text for most of
the in-copyright books we've scanned through our Library Project. Since
the
vast majority of these books are out of print, to actually read them you'd
have to hunt them down at a library or a used bookstore.

Snippet view

Preview

Paid Full View

This agreement will allow us to make many of these out-of-print books
available for preview, reading and purchase in the U.S.. Helping to ensure
the ongoing
accessibility of out-of-print books is one of the primary reasons we began
this project in the first place, and we couldn't be happier that we and
our
author, library and publishing partners will now be able to protect
mankind's cultural history in this manner.
Accessing books

This agreement will create new options for reading entire books (which is,
after all, what books are there for).

    *
      Online access

      Once this agreement has been approved, you'll be able to purchase
full online access to millions of books. This means you can read an entire
book
from any Internet-connected computer, simply by logging in to your Book
Search account, and it will remain on your electronic bookshelf, so you
can come
back and access it whenever you want in the future.
    *
      Library and university access

      We'll also be offering libraries, universities and other
organizations the ability to purchase institutional subscriptions, which
will give users
access to the complete text of millions of titles while compensating
authors and publishers for the service. Students and researchers will have
access
to an electronic library that combines the collections from many of the
top universities across the country. Public and university libraries in
the U.S.
will also be able to offer terminals where readers can access the full
text of millions of out-of-print books for free.
    *
      Buying or borrowing actual books

      Finally, if the book you want is available in a bookstore or nearby
library, we'll continue to point you to those resources, as we've always
done.

Great Deals on Dell Laptops. Starting at $499. (
http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100000075x1217883258x1201191827/aol?redir=http://ad.doubleclick.net/clk;211531132;33070124;e
)