[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google's agreement with publishers and libraries

  • From: "Robert Riddle" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:47:47 -0600

I was aware of all that, well, most of it anyway. My point is that we are
allowed
to scan and post almost any book for distribution among a population of people
with
documented disabilities without compensation to or permission from the copyright
holders. That should mean that it should be legal for Google to turn over the
complete
text of all those millions of books, with the exception of certain books such as
collections of plays, to Bookshare. In the case of Bookshare those restrictions
should
not apply. Now, my understanding may be wrong, but if it is it doesn't show as
such
from this item from Google itself. That is why I am asking if Google has been
approached
or if there are any plans to approach Google just like publishers have been
approached
for publisher quality books.

Google doesn't post the text of those books; it posts the images. So that won't
work.