[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google search for titles

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:30:48 -0600

Hi Mike!

Thanks for such a detailed explanation of how to search for snippets or read the previews on books.google.com. I tried it a little, but haven't had a chance to do much, because the internet was down for a while over here this evening.

Debby

At 07:40 PM 11/1/2009, Mike wrote
Use books.google.com instead of www.google.com

Then put in the title of the book (and maybe the author to make sure the right book is at the top of the list).

The first link is usually the google book, but occasionally it is the second or third

When you select the link for the title of the book, near the top of the page should be four links: overview, preview, reviews and buy. It may say full preview, partial preview or no preview. Below that will be a search box, unless there is no preview. If it has full preview (mostly public domain books, but a few publishers/authors have given permission for full previews of current books).

If it has partial preview, only some pages are available, but you can get snippets from any page by searching for a word or phrase from the book.

If there is a search box on the preview page (not the main google search box which will still be at the top of the page), put any phrase from the book into it (if you want to search for an exact pharase, put quotes around it like "the swift brown fox").

It should then give you a list of snippets with page numbers at the beginning of each.

If the phrase is on a preview page, you can select the page number link and it will go to the full page.

If the page with the snippet is not part of the preview, the page number will not be a link and at the end of the snippet it will say, "no preview available for this page."

For example, I am proofing Singularity Sky by Charles Stross. I put that in books.google.com

The first link is the book I want.  I select that.

After the overview, preview, Reviews, buy links is a search box. I want to know if the word "gormless" on page 18 is what is really there or if it is a scanno. There is no preview for that page, but I put the word in the search box and get the result

So far, he'd successfully played the gormless foreign engineering contractor with a runaway mouth,

So, it must be invented SF slang.

Or say on another page the bookshare book has

like so many intelligent men who survived the elite bo-&>ol system, he was also inclined to intellectual rigidity

I put rigidity in the search box and get the phrase right after what I want (ok, it doesn't always work perfectly).

So, instead I put in elite.  This time I get

and almost painfully unskilled in the social nuances: like so many intelligent men who survived the elite boarding school system, he was also inclined

And there is the phrase I want "boarding school" instead of "bo-&>ol"

And in case Evan who scanned Singularity Sky reads this, that phrase was not actually mangled, but I did want to know if "gormless" was really there.

By the way, in a previous post I said the snippets are now in text, making them accessible to screen readers. That is not completely true. Apparently google is in the process of doing this, but it is kind of randomly available. The "no preview" snippets are always text, but the snippets for pages that do have a preview are sometimes only images and sometimes text.

Well, on the books.google.com home page, it still says beta. I guess that's why things are still changing. Let's hope the changes are mostly in the better, more accessible direction.

Misha

Cindy wrote:
Mike, is there a special place to put titlesor snippets of sentences in google to look for pages in a book, other than the ordinary search?

Cindy

Wish List (i.e., books wanted added to the collection) and books-being-scanned list available at sites below

Books Being Scanned List: https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/Books+Being+Scanned+List

From: Shelley L. Rhodes <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: for shelly, about

Fossil Follies

To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thursday, October 29, 2009, 6:29 PM
Hi laurie,

I believe it is supposed to be dinosaurus egg,

As for the second one, no clue.  I can borrow

the book

again, but it might take some time.  These

were library

books and not in the best of shape, smile.

But I will rerequest the book.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lori" <lori@xxxxxxxxxxxx>