[bksvol-discuss] Re: Google Desktop Broke my Bookshare Books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:40:21 -0500

Hi, Cindy. You know, in one way, I agree with you. In another, I understand what my dad is doing. He's requiring me to be as independent as possible, to only rely on a sighted person if it's absolutely necessary. He has done that since I was eight years old and got my first computer. They didn't have a functioning screenreader at that point, and he still made me learn to type and write programming on it. Now over 25 years later, I'm able to handle things well on most computers, even if I lose speech for awhile. So for me, with my personality and my situation, I think my dad actually did me a favor. He helps me without complaint if it's something I really can't do. When he tells me to "RTM," I take it as a reminder of his love for me and his faith that I can work it out if I put my mind to it. If I've read the help files and am still stuck, I do get the help I need.

Monica Willyard

Grandma Cindy wrote:
Thank goodness my husband is not like your dad. He's
willing to help when I run into a problem even when
it's one I've been told before how to deal with and
have forgotten because I didn't write it down. smile

G.Cindy