[bksvol-discuss] Re: Good scanning software and other recommendations needed

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2014 21:28:46 -0400

I use Open Book 9, but I understand that Kurzweil is better. Open Book is way cheaper though.

On 6/2/2014 8:56 PM, Gmail For Deb wrote:
Hello!

I'm a new volunteer, and am wanting to get set up to do book scans.  I'm
feeling a little like a deer in the headlights, in that I have no idea what
software I should install to best be able to do good scans.  I have a scanner
(part of an all in one by HP), and I'm assuming it will be adequate enough for
the task...  At least I'm hoping so!

I apologize if there is some juicy article somewhere I've missed that addresses
this subject.  If so, I was unable to find it.  Please point me the way, and
I'll be pleased to go away to read and study it.

In the mean time, here is what I need to know.  If there's some gaping hole in
what I'm asking for, feel free to chip in on whatever other information I may
need.

My questions are:
1.  What software do you use, and how hard is it to produce a well-scanned
document with it?
2.  Would you recommend your software, or should I find something else?  If
there is a better package you know of, I'd love to hear about it.
3.  Is there a recommended software package suggested by Bookshare?  I have
looked fairly thoroughly, and haven't seen anything so far.

And in addition, I'd be interested to know if I'm likely to be satisfied long
term (or even short term, for that matter) with this pretty inexpensive scanner
hardware.

Oh, and did I mention I'm trying to do this with as little expense as is
feasable?  I can afford SOME purchased products, but I'd like to keep the cost
as low as possible, particularly since I may end up hating doing this, or find
it more difficult than I anticipate and can cope with.

Thanks all of you!

Deb Outland
Lexington, Kentucky To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to