[bksvol-discuss] Re: Good scanner and OCR?

  • From: Em Rose <uvabookworm27@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 17:02:30 -0500

Hey Bill,

I recently just started scanning myself.  I suppose a feeder would work if
you don't mind taking the book apart, but if you will be scanning other
things, you'll probably want either a flatbed scanner or a handheld scanner.
 I personally use the VuPoint Magic Wand.  Its nice and portable, but it
does take some repetition to guarantee a good scan.  You could get that from
Best Buy, though most stores like Brookstone and Sharper Image have their
own brands that are pretty much the same design.

As far as OCR software goes, it really depends on how much you want to spend
and how much time you want to check the OCR'd pages.  Microsoft Digital
Imaging and/or OneNote work well, but can only be run on one page at a time.
 SimpleOCR is free but has some funny quirks.  I'm still trying to find a
piece of OCR that works the way I want it to.

Good luck!

Em