[bksvol-discuss] Re: Going Going Gone?

  • From: Cindy Rosenthal <grandcyn77@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2015 20:06:55 -0800

Hopefully I'll soon finish proofing enough books that I'll gain few more
credits and can donate them to you. I don't think I have many now but
I'll ask Madeleine.
Madeleine, Do I have any credits that can be donated to Rik?
Cindy

On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 11:05 AM, <ohio1803@xxxxx> wrote:

I will try to briefly chime in here.
I also really enjoyed reading the posts. Kim, I hear you!

I don’t have to have enough credits to pay for my annual dues. But it is
nice, and so I am hoping to reach that credit total before next April rolls
around with the April Showers that bring May flowers. It is fun to have a
goal. And it is fun to spend money on other things, too. (smile.)

After slowly starting to pay enough attention that my scans were replaced
or submissions rejected due to the Publisher Quality additions, I have
modified my idea about what I will do as a long time scanner.

For a good deal of time in my early Bookshare Volunteer career (forI guess
around 10 years now) I would scan as a result of hearing an interview or
reading a review of a new book that I really wanted to read.

Now, while I am sometimes disappointed that a PQ book does not have page
navigation or headings and reading may be somewhat inconvenient to my
preferences, I do see that the need for me to go borrow the local library
copy, or even purchase the book, spend several days producing the best
quality e-version for a Bookshare submission, I could of the book is not at
all a good use of my time. This past year, I was so silly. I purchased a
couple of new fiction titles on the day of its published release, quickly
submitted, it and before it had been proofread it was rejected because it
hit the best seller list and a PQ copy was provided. Duh. Wake up call,
Rik? So now, I understand. I am not at all grumpy. I see this as change,
that is all.

Rather than doing Bookshare work,
I am mostly using my K-1000 time, scanning magazines. that are too
specialized to be part of the NLS or whatever source for us print impaired
folks. If anyone wants to talk about those, my contact is below.

That said. I am STILL interested in doing Bookshare work.
Right now this is part of what I am doing.
I have a lot of print books in various reading interests that my wife and
I have.
So I am going through and finding titles that I am interested in reading
or re-reading and I am checking the Bookshare collection. If the title is
not there I am putting it on a planning to scan pile on my work table.

These general subjects are in Popular Music, and History, and in some
cases literature. Montana writers are often things we have collected, too.

Now, I will also offer to scan for Bookshare members who really want to
read something, too.
If the title is something I share an interest in, or have a reasonable
expectation that the scan would not take me forever, I will be most happy
to do so.
That caveat is not hard and fast, but you know there are sometimes books
that are a very difficult job.
Still, I know there are books that you always wanted to read and have just
never found an accessible way to read them.
So if I can help someone by doing that, this is a great thing, and I love
it.

I do check the Wish List sometimes. But I have not been regularly doing
that.
Anyone who wants to contact me and let me know I will be happy to see if I
can locate the book here locally and scan it and submit it for the
Bookshare community.

Hope that this is useful.
I still much enjoy both using and volunteering for Bookshare.
I am proud of what we have done over these years in helping the service
and the collection to grow.
I like reading electronic text because I can navigate and stop and look up
words and get it spelled if I don’t know it. Something a human voice
recording is just not quite up to doing, don’t you know?

Thanks.
Rik James
Contact me at ohio1803@xxxxx or d28rik@xxxxxxx