[bksvol-discuss] Re: Going Going Gone?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2015 16:09:45 -0400

Hmmm, perhaps that is the case, but from the outsourced books I've read, while they are of pretty good quality, they don't look like they were really proofread. I mean, I would bet they've been spell checked, but they still have mistakes that would be caught by someone reading through the book.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Roger Loran Bailey (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
Sent: Saturday, October 31, 2015 4:02 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Going Going Gone?

Madeleine or another Bookshare staffer can correct me if I am wrong
about this, but I don't think the outsourcers actually scan any books.
The impression I get is that the books are scanned in house and then are
outsourced for proofreading.
On 10/31/2015 1:45 PM, Lori Castner (Redacted sender loralee.castner for
DMARC) wrote:

Dear Lissi and everyone else,

I read all the messages generated by Lissi’s comments before writing this
response.

Before stating my thoughts about why we have so few scanners, I want to make
one suggestion.

Would it be possible for “outsourcers” to scan books for volunteers to
proofread?

We have heard about Bookshare having volunteer interns work at the
headquarters; can they scan books for volunteers to proofread?

Mike and I have been proofreading and/or (in my case) submitting books)
since 2007. And we have seen many changes.

I believe that there is one main reason why we now have so few scanners. It
is very hard to see hours of hard work replaced by PQ books. Mike and I have
experienced this replacement several times and in large quantities.

Mike, Evan and I worked very hard to get a series (The Preacher’s
Commentaries) into the collection. Mike and I purchased the 35 books for
the collection; Evan scanned most of them; I scanned a few; and Mike and I
proofread them all—every word. On the day Mike checked in the last book we
discovered that Thomas Nelson had submitted hundreds of books including all
35 of our books. Our books, for some reason, were not removed but
duplicated. Even though our submissions are still in the collection it was
hard to see the duplications.

Then we began to work with another scanner to add books by Warren Weirsby to
the collection. We had purchased and added to the collection about ten of
his books and then one day all his books were added to the collection,
something our scanner called a “bitter sweet” discovery. Again, our work
was duplicated. This morning while looking through books I had scanned and
submitted I found another duplication, and that was a book I had to scan
twice to get it right.

When PQ books began to be added to the collection, at least two people who
scanned large numbers of books quit because as one said, “I felt the rug was
pulled out from under me.”

Why spend hours of time to have your work replaced or duplicated? And
submitting older books is no guarantee that your work will remain in the
collection. The Preachers’ commentary series were copyrighted in the 1980s
and until we added the last book to the collection, Thomas Nelson was not
submitting PQ books.

Several people have said that it is worth their time to scan or proofread
books even if they are replaced, because for a short time the books they
submit have been available. That is a valid view, but I find it hard to see
my work gone or duplicated.

That being said, I am so grateful for PQ books and for Bookshare’s huge
collection. Time after time I hear of a new book, one published in the last
few weeks, and there it is on Bookshare for me to download and read!

I’m glad to learn that some electronic books have page numbers added, and
I’m also thankful for the formatting of volunteer submissions.

Also I love to proofread and have no issue with the formatting requirements.

I do not enjoy scanning, and personally think scanners should earn more
credits than proofreaders. I have scanned 27 books for the collection but
just get no enjoyment from the process other than being able to read books
that interest me.

Like Lissi, I lament the disappearance of a “community” on the Bookshare
email lists. When Mike and I joined Bookshare, we learned information about
individuals, shared some happenings in our lives, and were part of a caring
group. Because restrictions were placed on what could be included on the
lists, community has faded. There were reasons for these restrictions, but
they did impact individuals getting to know one another. Possibly, this
lessening of community has reduced the number of volunteers. Who can tell?

Also, like Lissi, I worry about the small number of books on the checkout
list. I am thankful to have worked with some great submitters: Evan, Larry,
Sandy, Misha, Mike M., and Marilyn and to have proofread word for word so
many interesting, informative or enjoyable books. I believe my efforts and
Mike’s efforts have made a difference. Volunteering for Bookshare has
certainly enriched our lives. We will volunteer as long as books are
available, but can see the day when the lessening availability of books to
proofread will make our volunteer hours fewer and fewer.

Thanks for allowing me to share my views.

Lori C.