[bksvol-discuss] Goal Reached: all Dorothy Lyons novels added to the collection!

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2010 02:35:23 -0500

With the addition of the book "Bright Wampum" to the collection today (Septempber 7th), Bookshare is one of the few (if not the only) libraries in the world to have copies of all of Dorothy Lyon's novels for teens. These novels were mostly published in only one edition during the late 1950s and early 1960s, and are highly collectible. Some of this author's titles are exceedingly rare, with copies bringing hundreds of dollars when they can even be found in the book collectors' marketplace.

I want to thank all the volunteers who helped make possible my hopes of getting all of Dorothy Lyons books into the collection, especially Shelley, Mayrie, Mike (Misha) and Robert for their contributions in finding, scanning or proofreading one or more of these books. It wasn't easy! None of the Dorothy Lyons books are in print. The titles had to be hunted out across the country by Bookshare volunteers from their libraries, through used book sites and in eBay auctions. It took about a year to get them all, but we did it! smile.

Bookshare Volunteers are the best!

Judy s.