[bksvol-discuss] Re: Getting rid of a hard page break in Microsoft Word 2003?

  • From: Em Rose <uvabookworm27@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 12:47:30 -0400

Hi Mayrie,

There are two ways to represent hard page breaks in word.

The first (and easiest to deal with) are inserted by typing CTRL+Enter.
 These can be found if in the Find and Replace box, you search for ^m, and
can be removed simply by either by placing the cursor right after it and
hitting backspace or by placing the cursor right in front of it and hitting
delete.

Based on the difficulty you seem to be having, it sounds like you are
dealing with the second type of hard break.  These are represented as a
formatting type and as such are not usually something you can search for
nor delete by backspace.  Sometimes, you are able to place the cursor
behind the text right before the break and hit delete and it will remove
it; however this doesn't always work for me.  There are two other ways to
remove it. I don't know the key strokes to get there, but hopefully this
will give you an idea of where to go:
1 - You can highlight the text right after the break and then go to the
style selection and select the first option of "clear formatting".
2 - Or, you can place the cursor on this line and go to the Paragraph menu
(the same one where you set the line spacing) and go to the second tab
called Line and Page Breaks.  There the 4 option down is Page Break before.
 If you uncheck it, it will remove this page break.

Once you do either of those two things, it will either completely remove
the break, or turn it into the other kind that can be deleted using
backspace.

Hope that helps,
Em