[bksvol-discuss] Getting books flat for scanning

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 10:57:50 -0400

There are a few methods to get your books flat and ready for scanning.  Some
of these I don't recommend doing on a poor library book, though most library
books have such flexible spines you don't have to.

1. Chopping

Cut off the spine and feed pages through a document feeder, or as a friend
in Australia does, one page at a time on the scanner.  Staples and Office
Max will rebind for you.

Just be careful not to loose any pages.

2. Pretend to read.  When I get a new paperback, I will often times open the
book and go through it, pretending to read the print pages, pulling the
pages back and flattening them, one or two at a time, to get the book "read"
looking, and more flexible for the scanner.

3. Spine bent backwards,  This only works for fairly flexible books, but
split the book along the pages, like you were reading the print book, and
then bend the covers and pages back as far as the book will allow.  Continue
to do this with the rest of the book.

4. Last resort, break the glue.

To do this one, first never do it to a library book.

O.k. take book, open to the middle of the book, and place face down on the
floor.  Step on the spine of the book preferably not hard, but you do what
ya gootta do.  This may break the glue making the spine very quickly
flexible.

But, I prefer to leave this one as a last resort.

Happy scanning.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council