[bksvol-discuss] Genji and other problems

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Amber Wallens" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 17:30:16 -0400

Dearest  Amber,

I thank heavens that you are taking over Genji as I know that it will get done
in a reasonable amount of time and with a certain amount of accuracy.  As you
know I kept trying to work on it and thought I had solved the problem of it
being an rtf "editable"  file and then ran into the problem of the file growing
exponentially - every time I opened the file the number of blank lines between
the paragraphs grew as did the lines between the individual words such as the
title when printed Word by word in a column.  A file of 1238 (+/-) pp or 7,3--
kb grew to 3663 pp. If I did not know you were there I think I would have
tossed the computer out of my 3rd floor window.  twice I tried to create
separte files outside of openbook but that did not work as long as I started in
opebook.  And the files that were already in Wordperfect had some of the same
problems so I will save the rtf I still have in the Kurzweil Educational
Systems file and see what happens after I lose open book and head for the
Kipling or see if I can find instructions in wordperfect for formatting and
starting from scratch..

I feel like an idiot.  I know how to edit work.  That's what I did as a writing
teaching as well as to my own work when I wrote papers for graduate school but
a simple spelling correction that is fine until I try to find it again only to
discover it disappeared ot it showed up on one file on one day and disapppeared
the next.  I will wait until I have it somewhere it won't change while I nap.
At least the Kipling, when I last worked on it, did not have these problems.
Keep your fingers crossed for me.  If Kipling turns traitor I may give up
trying to "validate" untill I find a way to get K1000.  E. has given me an idea
and I will be working on it:  A letter to the Lions - local and national - on
why I need it.  The local Lions Club I have little faith in.  After years of
donating glasses to them I needed a pair and they never even answered my calls.
 But maybe national or a grant somewhere ? I can only be refused and who knows,
maybe I will get lucky.

If I can help at all with Genji please let me know.  I will still be trying to
read it as I am still finding the story fascinating.  Have you reached the
point where, in passing, we learn that it is normal for a host to supply a
female of Genji's status or whatever to sleep with him for the night.  He is
not used to sleeping alone.  And "sleeping" is not necessarily sleeping.  This
society is enthralling, for lack of a better word.

With gratitude,

Amy
omst

looking forward to some real sleep.