[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Latin books

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 06:59:51 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Pratik,

I skipped the download and restart steps of your process, but otherwise did
just as you suggested, when I was at the office on Monday.  If only English had
been selected, it should have taken about 30 minutes to OCR the 500 pages of
the 2 Latin books, but the OCR program was still running when I had to leave 3
hours later, after selecting both languages.  OCRing with multiple languages
really slows the program down dramatically.  I'll see how it turned out when I
go in this morning.  I'm going to send the Latin books to Lena when I'm all
done, so if there's a problem, maybe a sighted person can figure out what's
wrong.

Thanks for your suggestions and help!  Carrie

Pratik Patel <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hello all,

I'm a bit late on this thread, but FYI FineReader does permit  the selection of
multiple simultaneous languages for recognition.  I should have specified.
Current OCR technology is based on multiple algorithms.  Not only do OCR
programs attempt to recognize the available texts from scans, but language
selection as well.  Language characteristics are often important in OCR and a
good OCR program will use those to define accuracy.  Latin's grammatical
structure can be quite useful.  In fact, I would guess that Latinis easier to
OCR than ENglish is.  The other reason why I suggest that you choose Latin as
one of your languages is that Latin's vowels often contain Macrons--a
hyphin-like character located above a particular vowel defined by certain
rules.  These are absolutely essential in grammar, pronunciation, and Latin
reading.  A student looking at a grammar book should not miss this important
aspect.  If a student will be using this book in a classroom, I would also
recomme
 nd that
 his/her school request an electronic copy of the text from the publisher as
well.

In FineReader 7, do the following to choose multiple languagess.

1. Go to Tools/Options
2.  Choose the "recognition" tab
3. In the language combo box, choose "download more languages."
4.  In the resulting list, scroll to the bottom of the list and check the "all
other languages" option
5.  Tab or click on the download button.  (be sure you have an active internet
connection.
6. Once download is complete, you will be asked to close and restart FineReader.
7. Once FineReader is restarted, go back to tools/options/recognition.
8. Choose the "edit languages" button
9. You will find multiple languages listed in a tree view.  Check the languages
that you are most likely to use.
10.  Be sure to check the box that says "show languages in the list."
11.  In the language selection box, scroll up to the option to "choose multiple
languages."
12. in the resulting list, check the languages you wish to use for the current
session  (English and Latin).
13. Choose Ok.
14. In the language selection list you will see english and Latin both listed.
Choose close.

I hope this helps. I'm happy to answer any other questions.

Pratik