[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Just An Idea, and a project I'm working on if anyone is interested, contact me off-list, please?

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:50:08 -0500

Chela, I can hear in your message how much you want to make this book
accessible. I like that you're trying to solve a problem with creativity.
What you're offering to do is technically breaking the law and could cause
trouble for Bookshare though. I know that's not what you're intending to do.
Sharing books with people off-list and Using mp3 or text files isn't in
compliance with the copyright law because the files aren't in a specialized
format and could be accessed by someone without a verifiable print
disability. It's some very thin ice in regard to the fair use provision of
the law. Since publishers and their employees are able to read Bookshare
list mail, it's important that we don't do anything on these lists that
would cause them concern about Bookshare's compliance with the law. I know I
probably sound prudish to bring this up. I'm concerned about this because
we've worked so hard to show publishers that Bookshare acts with integrity
and in good faith. I don't want to risk jeopardizing that. I'm a volunteer,
just like you. So I'm not speaking as a staff member, just as someone who
has read way too many chapters on copyright law lately.

You are such a creative person, and I love the spirit in your idea. Could we
try something else though? Would it be possible to ask Carrie to use her
scanner on the books? She may be able to look at the print and figure out
why it isn't scanning right. She can even return the pages to you, and you
could put them in a binder. Then you'd still have the books, and they'd be
available on Bookshare too. Carrie is a nice person to work with, and I
think she might be able to help you if you will validate the book after she
scans it.

Monica Willyard