[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Fw: If a blind person gained sight,could they recognize objects previously touched?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 07:59:12 -0700

I had heard some of this before, but the bit about not being able to extract depth from paintings or drawings was new. I can resonate with that, as while I know intellectually that sighted people do it, I find it incomprehensible that they can get a three-dimensional image from a flat picture. I have asked people about how they do this, but but they either couldn't explain how they do it, or their explanations - which I can't really recall at the moment - didn't convey anything to me. Perhaps that's why I can't remember them if there were any. I have felt two-dimensional raised-line drawings that were supposed to convey a three-d image, but found them utterly inscrutable.

From: "Louise" <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Louise Gourdoux" <bookscanner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Fw:  If a blind person gained sight,could
they recognize objects previously touched?
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:17:15 -0500

PhysOrg.com
Thursday, April 20, 2006

If a blind person gained sight, could they recognize
objects previously
touched?

By Source: Research/Penn State, By Joe Anuta

Most people conceptualize the world largely based on
sight, and would find
it difficult to function using touch alone. Think
about finding the keyhole
on your car door at night, or locating that light
switch in a dark room.
Even if it's too dark to see, a seeing person uses
his or her visual memory,
along with the tactile sense, to navigate the
physical world and accomplish
the task at hand.

However, the interconnectedness of sight and touch
is not a given for the
blind.

Cathleen Moore, associate professor of psychology,
explains that the areas
processing visual and tactile information are
located on the wrinkly,
outermost shell of the brain, called the
neurocortex. "Sight is located on
the back of the brain, and touch along the sides,
near the top."

A connection was verified between the two senses in
sighted people, Moore
says, through a test using functional Magnetic
Resonance Imaging (fMRI) to
analyze brain activity. Without looking, the
subjects described objects they
could only examine with their hands. "Despite being
blindfolded, their
visual areas were very active. It's as if they
translated tactile sensations
into visual terms," states Moore. "Obviously, these
are integrated."

But although sighted people can picture tactile
information in their head,
the neurocortex is configured slightly differently
for those who can't see.

"It's not like the visual area just atrophies for
blind people," explains
Moore. Instead, the visual area gets taken over by
the tactile. This concept
is called neuroplasticity, the ability of the
neurosystem to reconfigure
itself.

Because of this different brain configuration, blind
people who regain their
sight may find themselves in a world they don't
immediately comprehend. "It
would be more like a sighted person trying to rely
on tactile information,"
Moore says.

Learning to see is a developmental process, just
like learning language, she
continues. "As far as vision goes, a
three-and-a-half year old child is
already a well-calibrated system."

As an example of the process, she referenced two
case studies where blind
men regained their sight later in life. Their
experiences illustrate some of
the difficulties in making the transition from
blindness to the world of
visual imagery, as well as the surprising importance
of one's age at the
onset of blindness to one's successful adaptation to
sight.

One man known as S.B., in a study conducted by
British neuropsychologist
Richard Gregory and reported in the journal Nature,
lost his sight at 10
months old, only to regain it 50 years later through
cornea transplants. He
could recognize several objects despite never having
seen them, but other
aspects of vision left him bewildered, Moore says.

S.B. could tell time from the hands of a clock from
previously feeling an
open-faced watch, and identify cars and trucks from
having repeatedly washed
his relative's car.

"I would infer that he just formed a generally
applicable spatial
representation of these, so conceptualizing the
position of hands on a clock
or the shape of a car didn't matter if it came
through visual or tactile
sources," Moore says. "When he gained vision, it was
easier for him to
interpret them."

"What he wasn't good at was drawings. He basically
couldn't extract depth
from them," she adds. For S.B., a painting of a
countryside landscape was
simply a collage of colors and a drawing of a cube
simply a series of lines
on a page. Gregory's study tentatively attributed
this problem to a part of
the brain inappropriately scaling objects, causing
S.B. to misjudge their
size.

The other man, American Michael May, whose case was
reported by CBS News in
2003, went blind at 3 1/2 and regained sight at 43.
Surprisingly, although
losing sight much later in his childhood, he had a
harder time adjusting to
vision than S.B. "He can't recognize the faces of
his wife and children,"
Moore says. "One possible explanation for this is
that while May was blind,
he was essentially trying to compare tactile
sensations to visual images he
obtained as a child, instead of forming a general
spatial representation
like S.B., who could only recall the colors red,
black, and white.

So while we might think giving sight to the blind
would be akin to taking
off a blindfold, it is not that simple. The
acquisition of sight for S.B.
and May brought hardship along with opportunity.
"After surgery, some people
who regain their sight can become very depressed,"
Moore states. "For S.B.,
he expected the visual world to hold all of this
promise, but it didn't. It
was dull, and bland." S.B. never learned to read,
and sometimes wouldn't
bother flipping on the light at night.

Although S.B. died two years after his surgery, May
has since gotten better
at understanding his vision, confirms Moore. "He is
learning to see like an
adult learns a second language, slowly and through a
lot of hard conscious
work. It's very unlike the way a child learns a
language -- quickly and
seemingly effortlessly. The intriguing difference
between S.B.'s and May's
cases implies that there are critical periods for
learning to see, just as
there are heightened periods for language learning."

http://www.physorg.com/news64769651.html

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.1.385 / Virus Database: 268.4.4/319 - Release Date: 4/19/2006