[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Fw: If a blind person gained sight, could they recognize objects previously touched?

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2006 11:44:38 -0400

Yes, I had 20/20 until I was 11, and at that point the doctors said I had a possible four to six months of vision Sometimes I would be put to sleep once and have two or even three procedures done at once, so it wasn't all that horrible, but counting all of them I have had somewhere more than forty procedures done on my eyes. I knew I was ultimately going to lose my sight entirely, and my parents gave me the option of not having the experimental operations if I didn't want to, but yet every minute of sight was worth fighting for. I ended up keeping at least partial sight for almost six years. I can't think of a specific object or person I miss seeing, but I do miss colors and how they contrast. Also some things can't be expressed verbally or tactically, like facial expressions or pictures. When I travel to Europe I always do a lot, like rather than scenery things I like to climb on or eat things. I also buy a lot of tactile things, like models of castles I have toured, or pebbles from beaches, and stones from walls, but none of them beat a simple picture. Back to the colors, as a child I always loved to see rainbows. Even simple little ones like what happens when you shine a light on the bottom of a CD. I miss colors a lot.

----- Original Message ----- From: <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>