[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Fw: If a blind person gained sight, could they recognize objects previously touched?

  • From: "Kaitlyn" <kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:53:02 -0700

Hi,

I haven't heard it put in this way but I can see how it could be true. I
read a book which dealt with types of blindness and they said the critical
year was about 7. Before that age visual memories weren't as great as
afterward.

I had sight until 7 and a half and I still can visualize pictures in three-D
but I wonder how it would be if I was to get my sight back. The brain may
have to go through a retraining process to develop the skill again or since
the brain already knows that it would be more of a training of the eyes to
focus.

Though loosing sight or never having it would seem to be a much longer
period and the question might be with an older person how the brain would
take to pick these skills p  from scratch. It's probably no different than
what my daughter does working with autistic children. She has to break
things down to very simple steps and teach them one at a time.

Katie Hill
You can learn a lot if you are humble enough to listen.
Lynn Lewis Warren
Email: Kaitlyn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx