[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fwd: Concerns About Proofreaders

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:57:21 -0400

Roger try doing what you are capable of doing such as telling us the names of the books so people can read them and find out if they are in good shape and writing to volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx about specific concerns. Let's let staff work out the punishments to be inflicted shall we?

E.

At 08:50 PM 3/21/2009, you wrote:
As a matter of fact, I now have five submissions in the collection and four of them were jiffy proofed. Right after I originally saw that message from Pavi I did report those four. I am now wondering if it is appropriate to report the submissions of others that were jiffy proofed because I did catch one that had been sitting on the download list for a long time and overnight turned up in the collection marked as having been proofread by Nick Wilcox. Now that I reread Pavi's message I am wondering if subtracting credits would accomplish anything unless all of their credits were subtracted. When you upload books for credit as often and as fast as these two jiffy proofers you are bound to accumulate more credits than you could possibly use over many years very fast. In order to have a sufficiently punishing effect enough credits would have to be subtracted to make it impossible to pay for a subscription.

"Philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx

table with 2 columns and 7 rows
Subj:Â
[bksvol-discuss] Fwd: Concerns About Proofreaders  Â
Date:Â
3/21/2009 8:08:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time Â
From:Â
mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
Reply-to:Â
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
To:Â
Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx Â
CC:Â
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Â
Sent from the Internet
(Details)Â
table end

Here it is, Roger, and Everyone, send a message, EACH TIME,

volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and make sure it's offlist.

Marilyn

Begin forwarded message:

block quote
From: Pavi Mehta <
pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Date: March 16, 2009 4:03:58 PM EDT

To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Concerns About Proofreaders

Hi All,Â

Carrie and I just had a discussion regarding the issue of proofreaders abusing the system by regularly checking out books and checking them back in almost immediately. We definitely do not want to give credit to proofreaders who go through these motions without sincerely spending time on checking and correcting the book, but basically piggyback on the work of the submitter. We know how much time so many of you put into your scans and the proofreading process and we donâ??t want the carelessness of a few to undermine the dedication and painstaking effort of the majority.Â

In the past we have written to individuals who have exhibited this pattern, with a polite warning. As this does not seem to have fully addressed the problem, we are willing to adopt stricter measures. If you feel as a submitter that your book has been â??pushed to check inâ?? with little or no attention by the proofreader.
Please write toÂ
volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxÂ
*offlist*. Carrie and I will review the data and make a call on whether to send a warning email to the volunteer in question, and/or if this is a recurring
pattern, we will have to subtract credits from the proofreaderâ??s account.Â

Warm regards,Â

Pavi Mehta

Volunteer Coordinator, BookshareÂ

BenetechÂ

480 S. California Ave., Suite 201

Palo Alto, CA 94306-1609Â USA

Phone: Â +1 650 644-3459Â

pavim@xxxxxxxxxxxxÂ

www.benetech.orgÂ

A Nonprofit OrganizationÂ

block quote end

=

A Good Credit Score is 700 or Above. See yours in just 2 easy steps! (http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1220863691x1201421954/aol?redir=http:%2F%2Fwww.freecreditreport.com%2Fpm%2Fdefault.aspx%3Fsc%3D668072%26hmpgID%3D62%26bcd%3DMarchfooterNO62)