[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: church-related requests added to and nonfiction wish lists

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 21:44:48 -0500

These are good recommendations.

I don't have access to them, but will find them if I can.

Shelley L. Rhodes, VRT
and Ludden Black Labrador Guide Dog

Pedantry and mastery are opposite attitudes toward rules. To apply a rule to
the letter, rigidly, unquestioningly, in cases where it fits and in cases where
it does not fit, is pedantry... To apply a rule with natural ease, with
judgment, noticing the cases where it fits, and without ever letting the words
of the rule obscure the purpose of the action or the opportunities of the
situation, is mastery. -George Polya, professor of mathematics (1887-1985)

          From: Julie McCullough <j.mccullough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Subject: Book Requests
          To: popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
          Date: Friday, March 12, 2010, 1:37 PM

          Dear Bookshare Team,

          I am a United Methodist pastor, serving three churches.  One of my
churches has studied two books by Rick Warren, and they really need to look now
at their purpose as a church.  I suggested that perhaps we should look at Rick
Warren's The Purpose Driven Church.  It appears that you only have The Purpose
Driven Life, and I think that people who like Rick Warren might like to see
some of his other books.  In another one of my churches, a woman is reading Who
Stole My Church, by Gordon MacDonald and thought that it would be good for us
to study it.  From what I understand, it is fiction but it has some valuable
things in it.  I would appreciate it if you could consider putting these books
in.  Thank you for this wonderful service.  it's so good to have somse of the
books that friends and community members are currently talkling about.

          Sincerely,

          Julie McCullough