[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: WishListRequest From Chela

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2008 15:27:47 EDT

Speaking of man/woman power being small, has anyone tried recruiting
volunteers? There are undoubtedly countless sighted book lovers out there who
would
like to share their books with blind people, but don't know about  Bookshare.
I have only been registered as a volunteer for a week now and it did  occur to
me to advertise a bit. So far I have posted a message on a My Space  literary
discussion group telling them about volunteering for Bookshare. There  are no
doubt very many literary discussion groups out there on the Internet  where
similar posts could be made. Why not look around and let people know about  it?
In a message dated 7/23/2008 11:20:22 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
rhyami@xxxxxxxxx writes:

Hi,  Susan. I don't have a problem with people doing what you and Larry
are  doing by scanning a volume with several novels in it. That isn't
what I was  trying to say.

My concern is that two wish list request messages have  been posted
this week asking for books that are already in the collection.  I don't
know if people are forgetting to look for the books on Bookshare  first
or if they're having a problem searching for the books they want  to
read. If it's the latter, we need to work on explaining how to  use
search so people can find the books they want. If that's the  issue,
education and support will solve it fairly easily.

I'm a  person who values using resources wisely. I know that isn't
everyone's cup  of tea. Knowing how people sometimes respond to book
requests, I worry that  a volunteer will take on a wish list request
only to find that it's  rejected for already being on Bookshare. In
fact, I know of three cases of  this occurring in the past six weeks.
This means that both a submitter and  validater wasted their time
working on a book that was ultimately rejected.  I know that each of
these people could have stopped the process by checking  the collection
first, so I'm not blaming anyone personally. It just seems  like a sad
waste of our resources to me when our man/woman power is fairly  small.

Since I don't want to burden Grandma Cindy further, I guess  there is
no way to deal with this except to remind volunteers to check  the
collection before buying and scanning a book request. The  other
suggestion I have is to check for both the title and author since  the
spelling of the author's name in the wish list request is  sometimes
incorrect.

--
Monica Willyard
Visit my blog at  http://www.scannersguild.com