[bksvol-discuss] Fw: Scan that may be of interest, Daughters of the Witching Hill

  • From: "Christina" <greensleeves1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2012 12:05:20 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Donna Goodin
To: Christina
Sent: Monday, January 16, 2012 12:01 PM
Subject: Scan that may be of interest, Daughters of the Witching Hill

Hi Christina,

I hope you are doing well, and that you had a nice holiday.

I just scanned and uploaded the following book.  I thought it would be of
interest to some on the Volunteer list--maybe you :)--could you pass this on to
the list?
Thanks and Happy New Year,
Donna

  Daughters of the Witching Hill, by Mary Sharratt

  Long Synopsis:
  Daughters of the Witching Hill brings history to life in a vivid and
wrenching account of a family sustained by love as they try to survive the
hysteria of
  a witch-hunt.  Bess Southerns, an impoverished widow living in Pendle Forest,
is haunted by visions and gains a reputation as a cunning woman.  Drawing
  on the Catholic folk magic of her youth, Bess heals the sick and foretells
the future.  As she ages, she instructs her granddaughter, Alizon, in her craft,
  as well as her best friend, who ultimately turns to dark magic.  When a
peddler suffers a stroke after exchanging harsh words with Alizon, a local
magistrate,
  eager to make his name as a witch finder, plays neighbors and family members
against one another until suspicion and paranoia reach frenzied heights.
  Sharratt interweaves well-researched historical details of the 1612 Pendle
witch-hunt with a beautifully imagined story of strong women, family, and
betrayal.
  Daughters of the Witching Hillis a powerful novel of intrigue and revelation.