[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: Romance June 2008

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 22:46:39 +0000

Grandma,

Assuming explicit sex is not a problem, I find Susan Johnson's characters complex enough and her historicity is excellent. She also writes well enough that I am not mentally red-penning her books. Some authors I gave up on as they were 3 or 4 red pen books. [To many years of Freshman Composition]. And those are only the grammatical and basic stylistic errors.

Iris Johansen is good but except for the Wind Dancer Trilogy and This Fierce Splendor  most of the books tend to be historically fascinating but, and it is a big but, are formulaic to the point that at certains moments the same words are being used. Now their is an interesting group of books following This Fierce Splendor in which 3 Authors each write one novel in pre-decided levels of decendency [children, grandchildren, etc.] from the orignal Delaney pair who are in the first novel but not as the central love story. That is only hinted at at different points but no more. The other authors are Kay Hooper and Fayrene Preston.  I have not read all the modern ones because I could not get them but have not really gone out of my way to find them. The historical ones were enough though I did read a lot of other books in other series by each auth or Mos t were in the Loveswept  series. That series is definitely formulaic, you know almost to the page #, when the relationship will  finally be consummated. Some are still fun but . . . .

If you have not read any or all of those, these should keep you busy. Let me know what you think of them.

Happy reading.

Amy
-------------- Original message from Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------