[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fw: Recommended Diversions: "Blindness" by Jose Saramago(book review)

  • From: "Allison Mervis" <allisonfm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 16:58:58 -0400

It's already on the site. I have it. At least I think that's it. I haven't read it yet.
Allison

----- Original Message ----- From: "Louise" <lougou@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Recommended Diversions: "Blindness" by Jose Saramago (book review)

By Gary Carden

This allegorical novel by a Nobel Prize winner has only become available in
the United States this year. As the title suggests, the plot deals with a
world in which "white blindness" suddenly spreads like a plague. Bewildered
governments herd the blind into camps and within a short time, the blind -
although helpless - become the majority. Saramago focuses on a single camp
and a woman who can see but pretends to be blind so that she can stay with
her husband. Inevitably, the existing social order collapses, power
struggles emerge, and the blind find themselves dealing with predictable
needs: hunger, sex and fear. This novel resonates with themes from other
allegorical works - Camus' The Plague, Kafka's The Trial, Golding's The Lord
of the Flies, etc.

http://www.smokymountainnews.com/issues/05_05/05_25_05/art_rec_div.html

-- Internal Virus Database is out-of-date. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.300 / Virus Database: 266.11.11 - Release Date: 5/16/2005