[bksvol-discuss] Fw: Concerns About Proofreaders

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare volunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 19:08:35 -0500

I think this is Pavi's message.
----- Original Message -----
From: Pavi Mehta
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, March 16, 2009 3:03 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Concerns About Proofreaders

Hi All,

Carrie and I just had a discussion regarding the issue of proofreaders abusing
the system by regularly checking out books and checking them back in almost
immediately. We definitely do not want to give credit to proofreaders who go
through these motions without sincerely spending time on checking and
correcting the book, but basically piggyback on the work of the submitter. We
know how much time so many of you put into your scans and the proofreading
process and we don't want the carelessness of a few to undermine the dedication
and painstaking effort of the majority.

In the past we have written to individuals who have exhibited this pattern,
with a polite warning. As this does not seem to have fully addressed the
problem, we are willing to adopt stricter measures. If you feel as a submitter
that your book has been "pushed to check in" with little or no attention by the
proofreader. Please write to volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx *offlist*. Carrie and I
will review the data and make a call on whether to send a warning email to the
volunteer in question, and/or if this is a recurring pattern, we will have to
subtract credits from the proofreader's account.

Warm regards,

Pavi Mehta

Volunteer Coordinator, Bookshare

Benetech