[bksvol-discuss] Re: Funky change in Roger's emails plust question about plain text e-mails.

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 00:24:17 -0500

I didn't even know it was in black. One misses a lot, even of what one is doing
oneself, when one can't see.
From:cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Reply-to:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:bksvol-d iscuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent from the Internet (Details)table endHey
Roger,You've got some funky html coding that's been going on for two or three
days in your emails coming to the list. It makes the background blackand the
font black, except for your .sig file. So for what it's worth, they're
unreadable by a sighted person like myself.
            The only way I can read themis to look at them is by resetting your
messages into "text" messages.I'm using Thunderbird to read email, and I don't
know if any of the other sightedvolunteers are experiencing this with your
emailsJudy s.Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx wrote:> That may be the case for you, but
for us who do not have access tonor the > skill to use an optacon it does not
apply.> > > "This would be the best of all

          possible worlds, if there were no

            religion > in it." [ in a letterto Thomas Jefferson] John Adams

                         The Militant: http://www.themilitant.com Pathfinder
Press: > http://www.pathfinderpress.com>
            GranmaInternational: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html>

             _> > table with 2 columns and 6 rows> Subj:> [bksvol-discuss] Re:
For Gwen andRobert  > Date:> 12/5/2009 2:47:53 AM Eastern Standard Time >
From:> the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx > Reply-to:> bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx > To:>
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent from the Internet > (Details)> table end> >
Hi Roger!I have been thinking about this subject.In a way, I think that >
scanning is easier, because,when I am doing step one of proofreading, I have >
the> hard copy in front of me that I can check with the optacon when there is a
> scano I am unsureof.
            When
            I am proofreading others submissions, I don't > have> the hard
copy, so I can only figure out scanos that are obvious or some > from
context,feeling a bit unsure at times.DebbyAt 10:55 PM 11/30/2009, >
rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
            wrote>As a matter of fact, I think proofreading is easier than
wrote>scanning.>
            Unless

              you are submitting a raw scan it is proofreading with extra work.

            Nevertheless> Kim, I would urge you to take the plunge and try some
            scanningtoo.
            The > more you learn about scannning the more you learn about
>using a computer in > general.>>>> "I have no country to fight for; my country
is theearth,
            and I am a >> citizen of the world." Eugene V. Debs>>
The Militant: > <> http://wwww.themilitant.com>http://www.themilitant.com>
            PathfinderPress:

              <http://www.pathfinderpress.com>>
http://www.pathfinderpress.com>Granma

            International: ><http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html>>
            http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html>> _>>table with 2 columns
and 6 rows>Subj:>[bksvol-discuss] Re: > For Gwen and Robert>Date:>11/30/2009
10:37:56 PM Eastern Standard Time>From:>

              kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>Reply-to:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:>>

            bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent> from the
Internet>(Details)>table end>> My goodnessGwen, you have nothing > to fear when
it comes to proofreading > should you decide to do it. One thing> I can tell
you is that there are >many ways> to doit. I have a BrailleNote > mPower and I
use it as a Braille display > while I read a book from the > beginning> to the
end. I listen to my screen
            reader>readthe text while I follow along > with my fingers using the

          BrailleNote.

              I'd call it kind of like a feedback> or redundancy thing. Have
you seen

            those>floursifters with double or > triple screens in them? Think
of those>what I do
            as >if I were sifting flour because > what> the ears hear the
fingers check. I have>tomake sure that everything is all > present and
accounted for, title,

              author bylines, copyright dates, ISbn > numbers,>publishers,>
etc. After

            the prefatorymaterial I read every word of the >book. Now I'm >
taking in the story (if I'm reading fiction), I'm checking >to see if>there >
are> any errors in thescan you might have missed. If I find any, I

              use the > delete key so I only get rid of stuff that is
extraneous to

            the text.>I'd write> you and let youknow what I'm doing. If I come
across a bit of >something > in the text I'm not sure about, I'd email you and
ask you about it,>pasting > the> bit of textI'm having trouble with in the
email to you. You'd >send me the

              copy of what the text should be, and I make sure it's in the
file>I'm

            working> with.One thing I heard right from the start was to have a
working> >copy of
            the

              file that isn't touched in case I mess up the one I'm working
with.>I'm

            still > in>the beginning stages of this thing. I don't do anything
>fancy.

            Eventually

              I expect to learn the art of this. What I want to know >is if
the>text

            makes>sense. I don't heed the word processing program should it
have makes>>grammar

              suggestions for me. If I come across a weird spelling of a word or

                name,>

            I'd> want> to know how many times it's in the text. I'd probably
write you

              to verify > that the word and the way it's spelled is supposed to
be in

            the text.>My> philosophy> is to do just enough and err on the side
of

          caution.

            Some >people may not > use Braille at all when proofreading while
others do. I'm still>learningthe> ropes, but so far what I've done is in the
Bookshare

              collection so I must > be doing something right or at least I
hope this is so. Nobody will>twist> your> arm and you can proofread anything
that

            interests
            you. So far >everything > has interested me. The very first thing I
did was a children's book,>butthe> others I've done are fiction books for

          grownups.

            Regards, Kim.>>

          ---->>From:>bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >>

            [mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
            On Behalf Of gwen tweedy>Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 2:56
PM>To:>
            bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen
and  > Robert>> I too assumed that those books would go very fast simply from
thingsI>> have read here from time to time.>I think they are getting lost in
the > admin cue now that would be up to him >to correct me if I am wrong.>And
yesfor> me, if I were a proof reader, except for some of the books >he's helped
me > with, I wouldn't read them either I just can't read those >kinds
of>books.>>As> for my books, I've learned a lot, I feel that even as much as
recently >I > have gotten better, but as for myself, I am keenly aware that my
booksmight>> be>  as fast on the uptake because of my past reputation as a new
scanner.>So I

              understand that, and can now deal with that.>If I find that Iam
not

            making> it I promise you, I'll be the first to >leave volunteering
making> altogether, >
            because I  do not need nor want to be in >the way of>good
readingmaterial
            here> bookshare is so famous for.>I promise you, I would not want
here> anyone
            putting

              up junk from me that would >not be fair to y'all.>Some thingsyou
can

            learn,> some things a person can't and if I fail to get >it, then
I'm out of here

              lock stock and barrel.>Most here scan and proof excellently,and I
would

            no > more > tarnish >that  reputation for this whole world.>It was
my hope when I > first  put my name up to be a  volunteer to put up

              moreof the Christian type of> books, if not Christian wholesome
books those my>grandma would care to > read.>But that wholly has not

            happened,  from a numberof factors of my own >> making> the buck
stops here as it were.>If I fail to meet this my personal goal, > that at that
time, which could be >today, tomorrow,or perhaps never then I > would> bow out
and leave it to those>who know best.>I wish I could proof books, > but I've
bungled scans lord knows what I'ddo > to a proof.>Plus there are so > many>
rules to proofing my lands I couldn't keep up with >them all, that is to > hard
for me simple  mind LOL.>I mostlikely should have just stuck to reading> > it
would have been a lot >less trouble for us all.>You have a wonderful >
day,>Gwen>>block quote>-----  OriginalMessage ----->From:>Monica Willyard>To:>>
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent:>
            Monday,
            November 30, 2009 3:26 PM>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] For Gwen and>
Robert> Gwen, you're right. Robert is an experienced and valuable member of
our>> community.
            Robert, how many books do you have that are waiting to be>>
approved? Are> they on step 1 or in the admin queue?>>Gwen, there are several >
factors> in play regarding Robert's books. I don't >know if you're awareof all
of > these, so I thought I'd share them. Some of them>can probably be addressed
by> people on this list. Others can't.>>On the staff side, Carriewas on >
vacation for a week before Thanksgiving.

              Also, most of the staff had some time >

            off> last week for the holiday. I >have found>that she off>
generallyapproves
            books > from volunteers within 24 to 48 hours of >their entry into
the admin queue.> Carrie used to be a volunteer just like us,>and she
remembersthe > frustration of waiting and waiting for a book to be

              approved. She has worked with >

            Robert> as a fellow volunteer as well and knows>of his skillsand
Robert> flexible >
            attitude.>> From here, it looks like the bottleneck right now is in
getting books >> proofread. The number of books on step 1 is pilingup again.
Our number > > of active>volunteers and their preferences for reading determine
how fast a > book> is >processed. This factor affects everyonewho submits
books. For awhile > everyone>was worried about not having any books to work on.
            Some
            people quit>> looking for new books on step 1 becauseof all of the
books with holds on >> them. Now>there are a lot of excellent books needing a
proofreader.>>The

              other> factor, on a more personal level,is hard for me to
explain. >

            Robert is a > consistent and dedicated volunteer. I respect him for
his  >
            dedication>and

              teamwork.> Yet I am hesitant to takehis books for a personal
reason.

                In

            the past, > Robert has been willing to scan some adult-rated
content for > Bookshare.>It's> my perception that muchof what he scans would be
classified as >steamy > romances. I prefer not to read the steamier books. This
isn't about >Robert>or>

            his skills as a submitter.It's about me and what I want to read. I
>> generally don't like to draw attention to this issue since I think it's a >>
            personal>
            one>on my part. SinceI feel uncomfortable asking Robert which books
one>are >>
            adult, I let others take his books when he submits. I figured it
would

              make>

            him angry>if I askedabout it. If I am wrong about what Robert
submits, I > apologize >and take full responsibility for not checking out my
assumptions

              with> him.>>I thinkwhat I'm saying is that we might do a better
job with> of >

            communicating >with each other. I know I need to do that. I didn't
know that Robert's>> books weren't>gettingadded to the collection. I also
assumed that most > people are more >comfortable with adult content than I am
and that those would> be done quickly.>Icould be wrong on both counts.>>The
last thing I want is > for you or Robert to feel ignored or >unappreciated. I
don't have an > immediate> solution.I think we could find >ways to work
this>out together, with the > help of the Bookshare community. It would help us
>fix the problem if we know> exactlywhat's going on, if the books are on step
1,> or are they getting > lost in the admin queue.>>Monica Willyard>"The best
way to predict the future> is tocreate it." -- Peter Drucker>>>

          ---->At 10:32 AM

            11/30/2009, you wrote:>> block>quote>I think a timely manner is the
key.> And those who have scanned for > years and their books are good, and
>everyone knows they are good, to me there>shouldn't be a delay.>Some books get
up there right away, so what is the > difference in books?>  Especially those
of like  Robert's when his books have>been tried and > true for a long time.>
Eventually  volunteers  are gonna > quit submitting books, because they >
aren't getting anywhere. Some books> stay> up there for a long time.>It's grand
            for   kids books grand for grants, but > I think they are
>forgetting the

            submitters
            especially those hardworking> ones like Bob >who turns in>a quality
scan each and every time not like his > wife who turns no quality

              scans LOL.>I understand me, but Bob thatis > different.>His>
should

            go right away.>Gwen>>----- Original Message ----->From:>robert >
tweedy>To:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
            Sent:
            Monday, November30, 2009 11:58 AM>> Subject:> [bksvol-discuss] Re:
What is the main concern these days?>>That's fine as > long as our books get
into the system on a timeymatter.>----- Original > Message> ----->From:>Denise
            Thompson>To:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Tuesday, > December
Thompson>01, 2009 2:50
            PM>Subject: [bksvol-discuss]Re: What is the main > concern> these
PM>days?>>I
            think BKS's concern is to do books that fit their grant > money. >
educational which seems to be most booksfor kids and teens in addition> to
>text books,> of course. Adult books don't seem to be educational- > especially
those that

              have some romance in them.Since they have out-sourcers and> do
their grant
              books>with them as well as in house, I feel like I need to >
continue books>to

            scan

              adult books for the restof us who aren't students and who> don't
want to >

            read kids>books and teen books.>Denise>>   At 09:32 AM >
11/30/2009, you wrote:>block
            quote>I've noticeda strong emphasis on children's > books> as well.
quote>This is

              wonderful, so long as it isn't at the expense of books > for us
adults,

            too.>>Melissa>>roberttweedy
            wrote:>block quote>I am just > wondering> about bookshare policy of
submitted books. Taking a >look at the cue, it > looks like children's
bookswhich is okay but what >about books>that are just> for pleasure.>block
quote end>To unsubscribe from this list send a blank > Email to>
bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>putthe
            word 'unsubscribe' by > itself> in the subject line.  To get a list

              of available commands, put the word > 'help' by itself in the
subject

            line.> blockquote
            end>block quote end>>block > quote> end>>__________ Information
from end>ESET
            NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus >> signature database 4650
(20091130)__________>>The message was checked by ESET> NOD32
Antivirus.>>http://www.eset.com>> __________ Information from ESET > NOD32
Antivirus, version of virus>signature database 4650 (20091130) >
__________>>The> message was checked by ESET NOD32
Antivirus.>>http://www.eset.com>>> __________ Information fromESET NOD32
Antivirus, version of virus >signature > database> 4650 (20091130)
__________>>The message was checked by ESET NOD32 >
Antivirus.>>http://www.eset.com>>Novirus
            found
            in this incoming message.>Checked by> AVG - www.avg.com>Version:
9.0.709 / Virus Database: 270.14.88/2537 - > Release Date: 11/30/09 >
15:05:00--Enjoywhat you have rather than desiring what > you> don't have. Just
dreaming about nice things is meaningless; it is like > chasing the
wind.--Ecclesiastes6:9 NLTTo unsubscribe from this list send a > blank> Email
tobksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx the word 'unsubscribe' by > itself in
the subjectline.  To get a list of available commands, put the > word> 'help'
by itself in the subject line.> To unsubscribe from this list send a blank
Email tobksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
            word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a list of

list of

12/05/09
          02:13:00

list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject line.

  Jamie in Michigan

  Currently Reading: From a Sealed Room by Rachel Kadish

  See everything I've read this year at: www.michrxtech.com/books.html