[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fractions in bookshare files for Braille readers

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 19:18:03 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Ann;

Yes, when it is in print, it shows as 1 1/2, not 1-1/2.  I think this is the
first clear example of it would be beneficial to have a two step
proofreading process, the first version being posted for daisy translation and
then allow a Braille proofreader the opportunity to correct the fractions for
the BRF file.  I don't know if that is possible at the present, but there is a
strong argument for it.

In most cases as a proofreader I would be more than willing to do separate
accommodations and submit twice myself, that that is one that I'm entirely
uncomfortable in manually doing because I see great opportunity to unwittingly
compromise text by a global replace.  Maybe other sighted proofreaders feel
differently, it's just not something I'm willing to consider undertaking
personally.  Cookbooks are pretty daunting by their very formatting need to pay
attention to detail.

Like I said, this would be a great opportunity to have two separate versions so
that everyone can be best served.
 Valerie

Check out my kids at:
http://www.caringbridge.org/ms/nicholemaples