[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fractions in bookshare files for Braille readers

  • From: "Chela Robles" <cdrobles693@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 18:18:16 -0700

Yeah, I don't know if anyone got my message regarding this but what I said was: I hope what I've said below makes sense, if not, tell me and I'll try to

clarify!
Ok correct me if I'm wrong but in Braille when I see say the following
fractions, and this is from my own memory so sorry if it sounds very confusing, just try to stay with me on this one ok? Anyway 1/3 would look like in Braille like a th sign first whitch is dots 1,4,5,6 then the number 1 in Nemeth code dot 2 followed by the horizontal fraction line whitch is an st sign dots 3,4 followed by the number 3 whitch is dots 2,5 lastly followed by the number sign or the end fraction indicator whitch is dots 3,4,5,6. Now, I also note there is a difference in the horizontal and diagonal fraction lines too and that is in the diagonal fraction line they add the following dots to the st sign and those dots they add before the st sign are dots 4,5,6 so it would be for example 2/3, dots 1,4,5,6 then dot 2 then dots 4,5,6 followed by dots 3,4 then dots 2,5 then dots 3,4,5,6. There are also mixed fractions as in 3 and a half cups. when I took algebra and other courses in math that of course had these, hmmm, ahem, not really my favorite, actually complex ones aren't but I'm getting ahead of myself, so anyway, here is what I remember a mixed fraction looks like: it would be dots 3,4,5,6 then dots 2,5 then dots 4,5,6 followed by dots 1,4,5,6 then dot 2 then dots 3,4 then dots 2,3 then dots 1,2,3 followed by dots 3,4,5,6. Now comes the complex fractions as I remember them. Here is an example of such. four thirds over two would be in Braille like if memory serves me correctly: dot 6 followed by dots 1,4,5,6 and again 1,4,5,6 followed by dots 2,5,6 followed by dots 3,4 followed by dots 2,5 followed by dots 3,4,5,6 followed by dot 6 followed by dots 3,4 followed by dots 2,3 followed by dot 6 and lastly followed by dots 3,4,5,6. I hope I haven't caused you all a very big headache when doing this for you all as a point of reference as I do remember it, and if I stand corrected, please gently correct me for I've worked hard in formulating it in writing so it did take time especially without a working brailler and Braille display to confirm all of these so try for yourself for fun these examples then let me know before biting my hard work off. I tend to write Braille faster rather than type everything out on a computer by memory to make you understand what I used to see when dealing with such stuff and hopefully the Braille translating tools will correct me too? It took me 15 minutes to compile this from finger memory on a nonworking brailler and to my brain to convert to actual text for an email, and such for every step for formulating these in braille, my head started hurting about halfway so I had to double check my spelling and such, ug! Concord California blind jazz trumpeter Chela Robles AKA jazz trumpeter Chris Botti

--
"To me, music that breaks your heart is the music that stays with you forever. It's one thing to be melancholy and one thing to be sophisticated, but when you get the two of them together in a way people can relate to, then I think you're on to something. You want the sophistication to lie in the purity of the sound, the beauty of the arrangements, and the quality of the performances."-Trumpeter Chris Botti
Passion x Patience x Persistence x Perseverance x Diligence x Integrity = Success, for both the trainer and the trainee.