[bksvol-discuss] Re: For wish list: more books by Elie Weisel

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 21:41:12 -0400

I think the word vulgar means common. That is the origin of its bad reputation. The arrogant snobs who think they are so much better than the common people classify the language of the common people as forbidden. This has historical roots too. When the Normans conquered the Anglo-Saxons they proceeded to try to wipe out Anglo-Saxon culture including, most especially including, the language. That is why even today words of Anglo-Saxon origin are considered at least less respectable than words of Latin origin and, did you notice? these monosyllable words that you call vulgar are all of Anglo-Saxon origin. Personally, I consider myself a commmon man. I think I have demonstrated my, at least moderate, command of the modern form of the language which has been so changed by the Norman influence. I will also admit that I have no command whatsoever of pre-Norman Old English. However, I still defend my commonness, my vulgarity, and the common people who use the vulgar language. Even though I can speak their language I have no sympathy for snobs who think they and their speech is so much better than those of us of the vulgar classes.

"As a woman I have no country. As a woman my country is the world"
Virginia Woolf

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: