[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen and Robert

  • From: Rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Dec 2009 12:58:12 EST

That may be the case for you, but for us who do not have access to nor the
skill to use an optacon it does not apply.

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion
in it." [ in a letter to Thomas Jefferson] John Adams

http://www.pathfinderpress.com
Granma International: http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html
                 _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen and Robert
Date:
12/5/2009 2:47:53 AM Eastern Standard Time
From:
the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Hi Roger!I have been thinking about this subject.In a way, I think that
scanning is easier, because, when I am doing step one of proofreading, I have
the
hard copy in front of me that I can check with the optacon when there is a
scano I am unsure of.  When I am proofreading others submissions, I don't
have
the hard copy, so I can only figure out scanos that are obvious or some
from context, feeling a bit unsure at times.DebbyAt 10:55 PM 11/30/2009,
rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx
wrote>As a matter of fact, I think proofreading is easier than scanning.
Unless >you are submitting a raw scan it is proofreading with extra work. >
Nevertheless
Kim, I would urge you to take the plunge and try some >scanning too. The
more you learn about scannning the more you learn about >using a computer in
general.>>
>"I have no country to fight for; my country is the earth, and I am a >
citizen of the world." Eugene V. Debs>>              The Militant: > <
http://wwww.themilitant.com>http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press: > <http://www.pathfinderpress.com>
http://www.pathfinderpress.com>Granma International:
><http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html>
http://www.granma.cu/ingles/index.html>
            _>>table with 2 columns and 6 rows>Subj:>[bksvol-discuss] Re:
For Gwen and Robert>Date:>11/30/2009 10:37:56 PM Eastern Standard Time>From:>
kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>Reply-to:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>To:>
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent
from the Internet>(Details)>table end>>My goodness Gwen, you have nothing
to fear when it comes to proofreading >should you decide to do it. One thing
I can tell you is that there are >many ways>to do it. I have a BrailleNote
mPower and I use it as a Braille display >while I read a book from the
beginning
to the end. I listen to my screen reader>read the text while I follow along
with my fingers using the BrailleNote. >I'd call it kind of like a feedback
or redundancy thing. Have you seen those>flour sifters with double or
triple screens in them? Think of what I do as >if I were sifting flour because
what
the ears hear the fingers check. I have>to make sure that everything is all
present and accounted for, title, >author bylines, copyright dates, ISbn
numbers,>publishers,
etc. After the prefatory material I read every word of the >book. Now I'm
taking in the story (if I'm reading fiction), I'm checking >to see if>there
are
any errors in the scan you might have missed. If I find any, I >use the
delete key so I only get rid of stuff that is extraneous to the text.>I'd write
you and let you know what I'm doing. If I come across a bit of >something
in the text I'm not sure about, I'd email you and ask you about it,>pasting
the
bit of text I'm having trouble with in the email to you. You'd >send me the
copy of what the text should be, and I make sure it's in the file>I'm
working
with. One thing I heard right from the start was to have a >copy of the
file that isn't touched in case I mess up the one I'm working with.>I'm still
in
the beginning stages of this thing. I don't do anything >fancy. Eventually
I expect to learn the art of this. What I want to know >is if the>text makes
sense. I don't heed the word processing program should it have >grammar
suggestions for me. If I come across a weird spelling of a word or >name,>I'd
want
to know how many times it's in the text. I'd probably write you >to verify
that the word and the way it's spelled is supposed to be in the text.>My
philosophy
is to do just enough and err on the side of caution. Some >people may not
use Braille at all when proofreading while others do. I'm still>learning the
ropes, but so far what I've done is in the Bookshare >collection so I must
be doing something right or at least I hope this is >so. Nobody will>twist
your
arm and you can proofread anything that interests you. So far >everything
has interested me. The very first thing I did was a children's book,>but the
others I've done are fiction books for grownups. Regards, Kim.>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->>From:
bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx >
[mailto:bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of gwen tweedy>Sent:
Monday, November 30, 2009 2:56 PM>To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: For Gwen and
Robert>>I too assumed that those books would go very fast simply from  things I
>have read here from time to time.>I think they are getting lost in the
admin cue now that would be up to him >to correct me if I am wrong.>And yes for
me, if I were a proof reader, except for some of the books >he's helped me
with, I wouldn't read them either I just can't read those >kinds of>books.>
As
for my books, I've learned a lot, I feel that even as much as recently >I
have gotten better, but as for myself, I am keenly aware that my books might>
be
as fast on the uptake because of my past reputation as a new scanner.>So I
understand that, and can now deal with that.>If I find that I am not making
it I promise you, I'll be the first to >leave volunteering altogether,
because I  do not need nor want to be in >the way of>good reading material here
bookshare is so famous for.>I promise you, I would not want anyone putting
up junk from me that would >not be fair to y'all.>Some things you can learn,
some things a person can't and if I fail to get >it, then I'm out of here
lock stock and barrel.>Most here scan and proof excellently, and I would no
more
tarnish >that  reputation for this whole world.>It was my hope when I
first  put my name up to be a  volunteer to put up >more of the Christian type
of
books, if not Christian wholesome >books  those my>grandma would care to
read.>But that wholly has not happened,  from a number of factors of my own >
making
the buck stops here as it were.>If I fail to meet this my personal goal,
that at that time, which could be >today, tomorrow, or perhaps never then I
would
bow out and leave it to those>who know best.>I wish I could proof books,
but I've bungled scans lord knows what I'd do >to a proof.>Plus there are so
many
rules to proofing my lands I couldn't keep up with >them all, that is to
hard for me simple  mind LOL.>I most likely should have just stuck to reading

it would have been a lot >less trouble for us all.>You have a wonderful
day,>Gwen>>block quote>----- Original Message ----->From:>Monica Willyard>To:>
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent:
Monday, November 30, 2009 3:26 PM>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] For Gwen and
Robert>Gwen, you're right. Robert is an experienced and valuable member of our
>community. Robert, how many books do you have that are waiting to be >
approved? Are>they on step 1 or in the admin queue?>>Gwen, there are several
factors
in play regarding Robert's books. I don't >know if you're aware of all of
these, so I thought I'd share them. Some of them>can probably be addressed by
people on this list. Others can't.>>On the staff side, Carrie was on
vacation for a week before Thanksgiving. >Also, most of the staff had some time
off
last week for the holiday. I >have found>that she generally approves books
from volunteers within 24 to 48 hours of >their entry into the admin queue.
Carrie used to be a volunteer just like us,>and she remembers the
frustration of waiting and waiting for a book to be >approved. She has worked
with
Robert
as a fellow volunteer as well and knows>of his skills and flexible
attitude.>> From here, it looks like the bottleneck right now is in getting
books >
proofread. The number of books on step 1 is piling up again. Our number >
of active>volunteers and their preferences for reading determine how fast a
book
is >processed. This factor affects everyone who submits books. For awhile
everyone>was worried about not having any books to work on. Some people quit
>looking for new books on step 1 because of all of the books with holds on >
them. Now>there are a lot of excellent books needing a proofreader.>>The
other
factor, on a more personal level, is hard for me to explain. >Robert is a
consistent and dedicated volunteer. I respect him for his >dedication>and
teamwork.
Yet I am hesitant to take his books for a personal reason. >In the past,
Robert has been willing to scan some adult-rated content for >Bookshare.>It's
my perception that much of what he scans would be classified as >steamy
romances. I prefer not to read the steamier books. This isn't about >Robert>or
his skills as a submitter. It's about me and what I want to read. I >
generally don't like to draw attention to this issue since I think it's a >
personal
one>on my part. Since I feel uncomfortable asking Robert which books are >
adult, I let others take his books when he submits. I figured it would >make
him angry>if I asked about it. If I am wrong about what Robert submits, I
apologize >and take full responsibility for not checking out my assumptions
with
him.>>I think what I'm saying is that we might do a better job of
communicating >with each other. I know I need to do that. I didn't know that
Robert's
>books weren't>getting added to the collection. I also assumed that most
people are more >comfortable with adult content than I am and that those would
be done quickly.>I could be wrong on both counts.>>The last thing I want is
for you or Robert to feel ignored or >unappreciated. I don't have an
immediate
solution. I think we could find >ways to work this>out together, with the
help of the Bookshare community. It would help us >fix the problem if we know
exactly what's going on, if the books are on step 1,>or are they getting
lost in the admin queue.>>Monica Willyard>"The best way to predict the future
is to create it." -- Peter Drucker>>
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------->At
 10:32 AM 11/30/2009, you wrote:>
block
quote>I think a timely manner is the key.>And those who have scanned for
years and their books are good, and >everyone knows they are good, to me there
shouldn't be a delay.>Some books get up there right away, so what is the
difference  in books?>  Especially those of like  Robert's when his books have
been tried and > true for a long time.>  Eventually  volunteers  are gonna
quit submitting books, because they > aren't getting anywhere. Some books
stay
up there for a long time.>It's grand for   kids books grand for grants, but
I think they are >forgetting the  submitters  especially those hard working
ones like Bob >who turns in>a quality scan each and every time not like his
wife who turns no quality >scans LOL.>I understand me, but Bob that is
different.>His
should go right away.>Gwen>>----- Original Message ----->From:>robert
tweedy>To:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Monday, November 30, 2009 11:58

Subject:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: What is the main concern these days?>>That's fine as
long as our books get into the system on a timey matter.>----- Original
Message
----->From:>Denise Thompson>To:>bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>Sent: Tuesday,
December 01, 2009 2:50 PM>Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: What is the main
concern
these days?>>I think BKS's concern is to do books that fit their grant
money. >educational which seems to be most books for kids and teens in addition
to >text books,>of course. Adult books don't seem to be educational-
especially those that >have some romance in them. Since they have out-sourcers
and
do their grant >books>with them as well as in house, I feel like I need to
continue to scan >adult books for the rest of us who aren't students and who
don't want to >read kids>books and teen books.>Denise>>   At 09:32 AM
11/30/2009, you wrote:>block quote>I've noticed a strong emphasis on children's
books
as well. This is >wonderful, so long as it isn't at the expense of books
for us adults, too.>>Melissa>>robert tweedy wrote:>block quote>I am just
wondering
about bookshare policy of submitted books. Taking a >look at the cue, it
looks like children's books which is okay but what >about books>that are just
for pleasure.>block quote end>To unsubscribe from this list send a blank
Email to>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>put the word 'unsubscribe' by
itself
in the subject line.  To get a list >of available commands, put the word
'help' by itself in the subject line.>block quote end>block quote end>>block
quote
end>>__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus >
signature database 4650 (20091130) __________>>The message was checked by ESET
NOD32 Antivirus.>>http://www.eset.com>>__________ Information from ESET
NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus >signature database 4650 (20091130)
message.>Checked by
AVG - www.avg.com>Version: 9.0.709 / Virus Database: 270.14.88/2537 -
Release Date: 11/30/09 >15:05:00--Enjoy what you have rather than desiring what
you
don't have. Just dreaming about nice things is meaningless; it is like
chasing the wind.--Ecclesiastes 6:9 NLTTo unsubscribe from this list send a
blank
Email tobksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx the word 'unsubscribe' by