[bksvol-discuss] Re: Footnotes and Sidebars

  • From: popularplace@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 11:56:33 -0700 (PDT)

Wow! This is different. As a proofreader I'm happy to put footnote numbers as
superscripts, though it takes time, or to leave them that way if they come to
me that way. I don't know how blind readers will feel about the parentheses or
brackets around footnote numbers but as a sighted person I hated to see the
number by itself right at the end of the sentence. or, especially after a
series of words. It was hard to know if it was a footnote number of a number
that was meant to be part of the text.

As to where to insert sidebar info when it's necessary, I wouldn't restrict it
to between paragraphs on the specific page where it appears in the book. Not
stoppping flow to me is paramount. There have been times when I've placed the
info at the end of the page, before the page break or even at the top of the
could think of examples, but any Shelley's animal encyclopedia volumes, or
possibly Johnny's In the Well.

www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm