[bksvol-discuss] Re: Footnote number in text

  • From: Vivian Flores <vivian@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 17:07:50 -0800

Thanks Deborah.

So, it's
***
*1
*2
etc.

Another question, I'm working on a non fiction right now, and I have 3 asterisks before each heading and sub heading. Sometimes, the text under these headings and sub headings are only 2 to 3 sentences. And to me, (I'm sighted) it just seems too many instances of the 3 asterisks as separators. Any feedback regarding this will be helpful.
Thanks,
Vivian

At 07:35 PM 11/9/2012 -0500, you wrote:

Hi Vivian,

I don't think there has been any definitive decision on that. I have expressed my opinion on it before and will repeat it.

Square brackets have a specific meaning when they are used, particularly in nonfiction. They usually mean text that has been added or altered by the author.

Footnotes at the bottom of the page most certainly don't fit that description.

I think we need to be more sparing in our use of additional brackets and parentheses.

Just my opinion...

Deborah