[bksvol-discuss] Re: Five Views of Apologistics

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 13:05:50 -0600

I thought that Notepad stripped all page breaks along with everything else, but that Wordpad kept the page breaks. So, I tried it on an old rtf I had that is already in the collection. The page breaks were preserved. Perhaps, though this file didn't actually have the page breaks to begin with?

Melissa Smith

On 2/19/2011 12:12 PM, Mike wrote:
If you saved the version from wordpad as a different name, then you should still have the original version with all the page breaks (and weird characters, unfortunately). You could try Mayrie's solution on that file (or maybe make yet another copy and try it on that).

I'd just like to make sure. If I open a file in wordpad and save it as a different name, without doing any editing, the page breaks are kept, but styles and other weird format characters are removed. I cannot find the page breaks in wordpad, but when I go back to looking at the file in word, they are there. If you have a version of wordpad that eliminates page breaks when you do no editing I'm so sorry I gave you those instructions.

Misha

On 2/18/2011 7:57 PM, Cindy Ray wrote:
On Feb 18, 2011, at 9:18 PM, Mayrie ReNae wrote:

Hi Cindy Lou,

Okay, this is kind of complicated and assumes you didn't do a ton of work on your book already. If you did a ton of work, maybe someone else has a good
idea.

You can download the book again. Open it in Word, replace page breaks with something you'll never see anywhere else like qqq and then open the file in word pad, save, then reopen in Word and replace qqq with ^m which is the
symbol for the page break and they'll not get lost.

Okay, in a more organized fashion:
Open in Word
Open find and replace with control+h
In the find box type ^m
In the replace box type qqq
Hit enter on "replace all."
Save and close.
Open in Word pad
Save and close.
Open in word
Open find and replace again with control+h
In find box type qqq
In the replace box type ^m
Hit enter on "replace all."
No, does not work. I have none now. I give up for today. I think I'll release the book again and go from there.
Make sure you do indeed have page breaks, and if you do, save.
That should fix your original problem.

I am madly hoping that you haven't lost tons of work and that starting from
scratch won't be grounds for hair pulling or head banging.

Good luck!

Let us know how it goes.

Mayrie