[bksvol-discuss] Re: First time proofreading

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 22:30:20 -0600

Hi Stephanie!

I had zillions of questions when I first started proofreading in late October, and everyone on the list who answered responded graciously. There answers were very helpful. We have such a friendly group here.

Debby

At 09:18 PM 12/20/2009, Monica Willyard wrote
Hi Stephanie. I'm so glad you're giving proofreading a try. I imagine you've
gotten lots of advice, and I don't want to confuse you. I'm just writing to
encourage you and let you know I'm cheering for you.

Please don't be afraid of making mistakes or not knowing things. All of us
started exactly where you are now. Most of us have made mistakes, needed
help, or felt a little overwhelmed at first. We're here to help each other
work with books. That's true no matter how much computer knowledge a person
has. You cannot do something to a book that someone else hasn't already done
at least once. So if you do make a mistake, please try to remember that
someone else here has done it too, probably within the last month or so.

We have a whole range of volunteers from grandmothers new to computers, to
seasoned computer programmers. We have volunteers who are teenagers and some
who are in their 80s and 90s. Some are disabled while others are not. The
one thing that holds us all together is our love of books.

I'm excited to see you here. Please keep asking when you need help. (smile)

Monica Willyard