[bksvol-discuss] Finding Blank Pages in Word

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:54:59 -0500

Sarah,

You can't get Word to find two consecutive Page Breaks?  But it's simple.
<Smile>  OK, so it isn't, but here's how you do it.

You need to remove whitespace on blank lines, or it will cause the examples
below to not work.

Remove any unseen white space from blank lines by replaceing ^w^p with ^p
and ^p^w with ^p.  What you're doing is Removing white space before and
after Paragraph Markers.

If you have any indentions that you want to protect, then instead try
replacing ^m^w^p with ^m^p, ^p^w^p with ^p^p, and ^p^w^m with ^p^m.  It's a
little more work, but what this should do is remove any whitespace on the
first line, any blank lines, and the last line.

I've use the first method, but not the second.

Once you have no whitespace to get in your way, you can search for two
consecutive Page Breaks or a Page Break followed by one or more Paragraph
Markers followed by another Page Break.

To search for two consecutive Page Breaks, search for ^m^m.

To search for a single Page Break followed by multiple Paragraph Markers,
followed by another Page Break, search for ^12[^13]@^12.  This will require
wildcards to be turned on.  I've tried this one and know it works because I
found the Blank Pages in the file I'm working on.

As far as I know?at least in Word 2000?Word doesn't allow you to search for
both possibilities at the same time, so you'll need to make two passes to
find all of them.

HTH

Gerald