[bksvol-discuss] Re: Filter for Duplicates?

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 16:42:06 -0400

There probably is a strong reason for bookshare not to have two different copies of a book with each copy validated by a separate set of volunteers. For one thing, we all probably want to know which is the best copy and use that one. Otherwise, we might as well have dozens of copies of a book on the system and that certainly seems a bit strange to me at least.

E.

At 04:12 PM 9/5/2009, you wrote:
I have found a few of those duplicates myself. I just let them be. Is there any strong reason for Bookshare not to have duplicates?

"The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end.
" Leon Trotsky

The Militant: <http://wwww.themilitant.com>http://www.themilitant.com Pathfinder Press: <http://www.pathfinderpress.com>http://www.pathfinderpress.com Granma International: <http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html>http://granma.cu/ingles/index.html
             _

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Filter for Duplicates?
Date:
9/5/2009 3:16:27 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

Engineering tells us they do not even have a way of checking for
duplicate books in the system right now let alone ones which are coming in.

So, there certainly are duplicate copies of the same book in the
system now. I have found a few myself, distinguished by slightly
different spellings of a author's name or of the title of a book. And
no, I am not talking about duplicates where one is a PQ copy and the
other is a copy submitted by a volunteer. I mean two books each
submitted by a volunteer.

E.