[bksvol-discuss] Filter for Duplicates?

  • From: "Ilene Sirocca" <ilenesia@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 15:07:00 -0400

Hi,

Since I don't read every post, I may have missed this if someone else mentioned it, but here goes.

Have the Bookshare engineers considered having a filter built into the site so that if we submit our books and they have elements in common with books already in the collection (or even in process, if that's possible) an information box could come up informing us of this? Whether we'd want it to appear only if two or more elements were the same, such as title and author or title and ISBN, or whether we'd like the info to come up even if just the author were the same, i don't know. We could look at the list of similar titles and if we realized we were duplicating we could stop the process. Obviously we would all prefer to catch the fact that we had a duplicate book before we even started scanning, but if we missed that fact somehow this would be a checkpoint. If we wished to continue for any reason we could do so and if necessary explain why in our comments.

If this has all been mulled over already, I really do apologize.

Ilene