[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fiction By Best Selling Author & See LongSynopsis

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 14:06:26 -0500

Paul,  I suspect there are  some problems with the system as well.  For
example,  if the submitter specifies  a synopsis at submission time,  or
leaves it blank,  the reviewer's changes wil not be applied.  Any reviewer
must put his proposed changes/additions in the comment field at approval
time as a note to the administrator,  who will then include those change
as appropriate.  So,  if the submitter has stated:

"It's all in the title"

in the short description,  the reviewer's changes will disappear,  unless
the reviewer puts them also in the aforementioned comment field.  What is
even more irritating is that if your submission is expected to replace an
older copy,  the short and long descriptions you post will be lost,  in
favor of the old ones.

The bottom line is that,  while volunteer accuracy does help,  a few well
placed bug fixes on the volunteer site will help us as well.

Please do not get discouraged,  you have submitted a lot of excellent
quality books!

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

"Edwards, Paul" <pedwards@xxxxxxxx>
04/28/2004 12:28 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fiction By Best Selling Author & See  Long Synopsis

Two issues. First, would we be better served with a single, slightly
longer synopsis that would obviate the need for doing two.

Second, with many of the books I submitted, I wrote a short and long
synopsis and only ever saw the short one see the light of day once the
book made it into the system.

I think that there is some merit in doing what Allison has done in the
newsletters and simply quoting Amazon where available.  That is certainly
a safe course.  I cannot speak for other folks on this list but I know
that I often scan but do not read so that my synopses are really nothing
more than capitulations of what I have gleaned from the book cover or
elsewhere.

Paul

Paul Edwards, Director
Access Services, North Campus